lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
kramsee
Not Yet Wild

Default 1994 Club Car Control Unit ?

First of all, thanks to those that reponded to my previous solenoid questions. Mucho, mucho help which is greatly appreciated.

Came home from work today, finished up rewiring the 1994 CC. Jacked up the back, turned on the key and put it in forward and gave it the pedal. Nothing! Did hear the solenoid click though. Put it in reverse, gave it the throttle and left wheel spun and gained and loss speed as I pressed and released the pedal. Acted like I thought it should. Put it in forward and nothing, back to reverse and ran good. Put it back in forward and much to my surprise, now the left wheel spins. Dropped the jack and put it in forward and pulled away. Raced down the street, let off on the pedal, braked, came to a full stop....pushed on the pedal again and....nothing! Reverse, nothing! Switched back and forth on the F/W switch and finally ran in reverse again. And that's how it's going. Reverse being more reliable than forward.

Now, I must admit, everything, and I mean everything is cleaned and shined at contact points, except.......due to impatience of wanting to see this thing run and also because of difficulty of accessability......I haven't touched the control unit yet. As corroded and dirty as everything else was, I expect them to be the same. I figure I'll jack up the back and climb under and pull those wires and clean everything up. My question is......what do you think the possibility is of this will fix the problem or should I be looking somewhere else?

So far, I'm having pretty good luck with everything considering how dirty, rusty and neglected this cart was when I got it.

Thanks in advance!
kramsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1994 Club Car Control Unit ?

Did you clean everything up? Results? Be sure to unhook the main - then the main + before you do this. Rehook batteries in the reverse order.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you have a bad F&R switch .... when it won't go, can you try wiggling the handle or slamming it in gear?
Are any of the F&R cable connections getting hot?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
kramsee
Not Yet Wild

Been raining here since I've posted the question and haven't been able to work on the cart ( it's in the driveway, no room in the garage ) but..........

everything has been cleaned or replaced except for the control unit....... still need to pull it out and check and clean contacts and hoping that will be the fix.......everything so far NEEDED good cleaning and expect that it will too.

as for the f/w switch......took that apart too...cleaned everything but when reassembling lost the pressure pin that goes through the arm and substituted a cotter pin which is skinnier than the original pin. Seems to have given it a little more play ( doesn't feel as tight when shifting ) although everything still seems to make good contact. Will replace that and see if it tightens it back up.

As soon as this rain stops, I'll attend to these and hope for the best. I'll post my results probably along with a million more questions. Thanks so much for your responses.

P.S. I've noticed that sometimes ( when it decides to run ) that pushing on the pedal and holding it for a second or two, it then responds ( all of a sudden, it just kicks in ) instead of responding immediately.

Last edited by kramsee; 10-13-2011 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 10-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
kramsee
Not Yet Wild

Finally got to clean the control unit,...it was pretty dirty and terminals were not in best shape,......cleaned all up ( one terminal at at time to make sure correct wiring went back on )..now nice and shiny.

I did replace the cotter pin with the right size tension pin in the F/R switch which did tighten things up.....

but......now the cart is less responsive.....only got it to reverse twice and no forward movement yet!?!?!?!?!?

A couple things I noticed or checked are.........

the F/R switch is pretty well grooved and the date on it indicates it's the original switch. How deeply gooved is the plastic and copper bars normally on this switch??????????????? I believe it's still making good contact but maybe I'm missing something.

I never really charged the batteries since I've bought the cart. When I finally completed the wiring the rain set in for a few days and then I had to go away for a couple days. Right now ( without charging it ) I'm only getting 35.6 volts. I threw the charger on and am now charging it. With the charger on the batteries, I'm drawing just about 42 volts.

Where do I look next??????????????

Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car