lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
jlhog
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Timing Cover Removal

1996 TXT. Is there an easy way to remove the timing belt cover? I removed the three bolts that hold the cover on and it appears the clutch needs to come off first. So I try to remove the clutch and I cannot get the bolt all the way out of the clutch. It hits the mount for the leaf spring. Dont tell me I need to remove the motor for something this simple. HELP Please
jlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Timing Cover Removal

Jack the car up at the rear, the bolt should clear. You will need a clutch puller to remove the clutch.
Bob
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
jlhog
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That sounds easy enough. Thanks a ton....
Old 10-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I commented a year ago that the engine design is faulty as you cannot remove the timing belt cover without first removing the primary clutch. Which you should. No, you don't have to remove the engine. Somehow, you can manage to swing the clutch to have access to the cover.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
jlhog
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well I removed the clutch today. It was not easy but I did WIN. I jacked the cart up and the 3/4' bolt would not clear the spring mount. After grinding some of that away the bolt was straight enough the thread in. I tried the grease method first and that did not work. I had some 5/8 threaded rod so I was going to cut some of that to put in the hole. That was when I remembered my hack saw is at the lake. So I used my trusty grinder to cut a short piece. After putting the rod in the hole and starting the bolt I tried a rachet on the socket. No Go. Next up was my electric impact. After several good runs at it the darn thing fell off the cart finally. Now I can get the timing cover off and replace the timing belt that has a small cut in it. I also will install a new clutch as mine has seen better days.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When jacking the car up, jack from the frame and not the axle. That allows the rear axle weight to extend the rear suspension enough for the bolt clear the frame and spring hanger. If you have heavy duty springs, remove the rear leaf spring bolt on the drivers side to get enough clearance.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
jlhog
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

i jacked the frame up until the rear axle came off the jackstand. I also loosened up the u bolts on the springs hoping to clear. The grinder worked, just more work..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvkersh View Post
When jacking the car up, jack from the frame and not the axle. That allows the rear axle weight to extend the rear suspension enough for the bolt clear the frame and spring hanger. If you have heavy duty springs, remove the rear leaf spring bolt on the drivers side to get enough clearance.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Another method is to remove the front motor mount attachment and jack the motor up until the clutch puller clears the frame and the impact can be used on it. Glad to hear you got it...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
jlhog
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I replaced the timing belt today. If I put it back together and it is off one tooth will it make a difference? Im pretty sure I got it right, but it could be off one. I just dont want to screw it up...
Old 12-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

One tooth will make a difference, need to fix it,it will affect the power.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO