lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Battery terminal issue

The cable you used to replace the burnt one is of a lower quality than you need.
The ends are not solid lugs but are crimped and formed flat over the cable ends.
Where they bolt to the battery they get hot and soft then they will compress and get loose, then hotter, then..............you know the rest.
spring for a good quality set of cables and still check them monthly.
Give ScottyB a call.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Crash's post is correct... that is an automotive grade cable and will fail under heavy loads as generated by golf carts.....

Nice photo set to demonstrate the application of repairing a post , curious though, you listed a parts list that includes items that you didn't show useage of...... Seems like you used Roady's parts list and combined it with my repair method... or did I miss something?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
Whiskey11
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
The cable you used to replace the burnt one is of a lower quality than you need.
The ends are not solid lugs but are crimped and formed flat over the cable ends.
Where they bolt to the battery they get hot and soft then they will compress and get loose, then hotter, then..............you know the rest.
spring for a good quality set of cables and still check them monthly.
Give ScottyB a call.
Crash, Thx for that info.... I thought the same when I checked my other cables and noticed that are just like the new one I bought (standard 4g battery cable). Apparently my cart has the wrong cables installed by the previous owner. I have, funny enough, already looked at Scotty’s cables and have plans on getting a nice new set from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Crash's post is correct... that is an automotive grade cable and will fail under heavy loads as generated by golf carts.....

Nice photo set to demonstrate the application of repairing a post , curious though, you listed a parts list that includes items that you didn't show useage of...... Seems like you used Roady's parts list and combined it with my repair method... or did I miss something?

rabbitreborn, I didn’t see your thread on a battery terminal fix. I had to look again and yes I didn’t use all Roady's parts. I didn’t need the allen as I used a bolt as the stud and just cut the head off of it. The nice close Ma and Pap hardware store at the corner didn’t have one of those fancy socket set screws.
Whiskey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My appologies, I didn't see the pic of you tapping the hole and didn't realize that was a bolt with the head cut off so I assumed you esed a lag hanger bolt as I use in my repairs.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #15
Whiskey11
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
My appologies, I didn't see the pic of you tapping the hole and didn't realize that was a bolt with the head cut off so I assumed you esed a lag hanger bolt as I use in my repairs.
I did a little searching and found your method... nice!! I may have gone that route if I would have seen it b 4. So what’s the real deal? Those 2g cable kits from Scotty are not cheap, is that really required? I’m all about upgrading and getting the most out of my stuff but just want some feed back of people have maybe used them. I know I need new ones but had no idea I was going to drop 2+bills for them.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i just bought a set of scottys cables and although i havn,t put them on yet they are of the highest quailty ......this is from me and i also make my own cables...........just not that caliper............close.............anyways i don,t have to put them on to know they,ll be fine......... gaminde if you read this please no smart arse comments..............lolol....................... ...
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #17
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
i just bought a set of scottys cables and although i havn,t put them on yet they are of the highest quailty ......this is from me and i also make my own cables...........just not that caliper............close.............anyways i don,t have to put them on to know they,ll be fine......... gaminde if you read this please no smart arse comments..............lolol..........................
Baawaaahahahaha!!!!

I remember that!!!
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #18
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Drop $200 for the proper cabling or $400-$600 for a fried motor or controller..... Or worse yet, have another battery melt only this time have it put a hole in it and have the gases explode..... I'm not being a smart *** on this, just pointing out why the $200 is a small amount in the bigger scheme of things.....
Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #19
Whiskey11
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Gaminde Shadowman

Waz up gaminde? U have some dirt on these cables? Or is there some dirt on shadowman's cables? Either way, I agree with ya shadowman, the look of Scotty's cables show top quality. I'm sure I'll be getting a set of the series cables. Now just to determine wether I go with 4g or 2g???
Old 07-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #20
Whiskey11
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Rabitreborn, we apparently posted at the same time. I hear ya! Thx again all for the input...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO