lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Controllers and load.

I've been noticing a lot of posts about hunting carts and needing more torque. My question is why is it hard on the controller to make the cart go slowly? I use mine this way a lot and had no idea this is bad for it. I always thought " balls to the wall " is what is bad! Please bear with me and if there are " simple " things to do, let me know! I know an improved heatsink for the controller will help and any little tips you guys have will too!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Controllers and load.

This all depends on what drive system you have, this applys to PDS and DCS systems, what year cart, and drive system is yours
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
This all depends on what drive system you have, this applys to PDS and DCS systems, what year cart, and drive system is yours
I'm not sure of the year, ID tag gone, but it is an industrial cart with series system. Right now I am using a 1206 controller at 36V. The motor is an Advanced DC Inc. 48V motor. It has 11-11-97 on it so I'll guess that is a date of manufacture. I'm not having any problem, I just am curious about what I can do to keep from having a problem. This controller and the ITS throttle came from a junk cart I picked up. I'm just using these temporarily until I can get another controller that's 48V. My original controller is a Curtis 1205 with a pot throddle. It succumbed to a few years of total abuse! It is a 24-36V that was run on 48V for over a year! It also was driven until it wouldn't go forward and then reversed to get home. I intend never to treat it this way! This cart was obtained from where I used to work and this is how it was used, so not being a electronics whiz, I'd just like a heads up on how to use the cart properly! Thanks guys!
Old 09-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

oooh, thats a good one!

so in a nutshell, when voltage is applied to a motor it naturally wants to spin at its top speed for the given voltage and load. (this is due to counter-electromotive force, CEMF.) any difference in this speed and the actual speed results in current. (for more on this look up Lenz's Law.)

alright, so the motor is saying "top speed, top speed, gotta get to top speed!" BUT, we aren't letting it get there. the slower the motor goes, the bigger the difference between actual speed and the top speed its shooting for. the bigger this difference, the higher the current.

for most controllers, the speed is regulated by pulse width modulation. (PWM aka duty cycle) for 25% throttle, the controller pulses the motor 25% on, 75% off. for half throttle its 50% on, 50% off. for 100% throttle, its full on, no off. its only when we reach 100% throttle that the motor is given the chance to fully balance the back EMF. this is the point at which current is the lowest. soooo, the lower the throttle input, the higher the current through the motor and controller.

make any sense?
-sj

image source 1: https://rdl.train.army.mil/soldierPo...m0703/lsn4.htm
image source 2: http://www.netrino.com/Embedded-Syst...dth-Modulation
Attached Images
File Type: gif fig4-20.gif (7.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: gif PWMFigure1.gif (5.4 KB, 4 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
oooh, thats a good one!

so in a nutshell, when voltage is applied to a motor it naturally wants to spin at its top speed for the given voltage and load. (this is due to counter-electromotive force, CEMF.) any difference in this speed and the actual speed results in current. (for more on this look up Lenz's Law.)

alright, so the motor is saying "top speed, top speed, gotta get to top speed!" BUT, we aren't letting it get there. the slower the motor goes, the bigger the difference between actual speed and the top speed its shooting for. the bigger this difference, the higher the current.

for most controllers, the speed is regulated by pulse width modulation. (PWM aka duty cycle) for 25% throttle, the controller pulses the motor 25% on, 75% off. for half throttle its 50% on, 50% off. for 100% throttle, its full on, no off. its only when we reach 100% throttle that the motor is given the chance to fully balance the back EMF. this is the point at which current is the lowest. soooo, the lower the throttle input, the higher the current through the motor and controller.
make any sense?
-sj

Actually, yes it does! I do a lot of slow driving, mostly on firm, but sometimes soft ground. My motor gets just warm, but the controller is what I'm most concerned with. How hot is too hot? It gets hotter than the motor. Will a bigger heatsink help? Thanks!
Old 09-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

werd!

for a quick and dirty temp test.... if you can't hold you hand on the controller for more than a few seconds, its too hot!

a better heatsink will work but might take a lot of effort to retrofit. using a thermal coupling pad or thermal grease will help the heat transfer to the heatsink. a fan helps tremendously!
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
werd!

for a quick and dirty temp test.... if you can't hold you hand on the controller for more than a few seconds, its too hot!

a better heatsink will work but might take a lot of effort to retrofit. using a thermal coupling pad or thermal grease will help the heat transfer to the heatsink. a fan helps tremendously!
-sj
There we go! a simple, but effective temp test It doesn't get that hot! I can keep my hand on it. Thanks for the info. A fan sounds like a cool idea!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
oooh, thats a good one!

make any sense?
-sj

Lost me right after: "oooh, thats a good one!"
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Great explanations sonicj and pretty concise given the variables explained.
Some of the EV cars are even using liquid cooled controllers (Soliton and Zilla) for the overheat situations.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can hold your hand on 105 degrees for a few moments before the impulse to withdraw it can't be ignored but 105 is still relatively cool to the motor. The fans don't even come on on the new SPM control at that temp..... anybody know what temp the fan comes on in the new Alltrax controls?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO