lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
TGJR
Gone Wild

Default Are automotive rocker/toggle switches 12v specific?

Can a regular toggle switch you can purchase from an auto parts store be used on a 36v or 48v ignition system?
TGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
KARTMANX
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Are automotive rocker/toggle switches 12v specific?

Most can be used with higher voltage. The amperage is where you may start to have issues.
KARTMANX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGJR View Post
Can a regular toggle switch you can purchase from an auto parts store be used on a 36v or 48v ignition system?
Kartmanx is correct saying your issue will be with how much current the circuit will carry. If your wanting to modify a FNR assembly the answer would be definitely no. What circuit are you wanting a switch for?

12 volt auto toggle/rocker switches will work but may not last as long. Most are manufactured with the intent of controlling a solenoid.

If you can't find what you want from a site sponsor check out marine parts. Marine switches are generally made with more intent for harsher adverse environments.

I'm new here and still learning cart stuff myself. My gut says not to put a 12 volt switch in a 36 volt system.

Regards
Gonkulor
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Let the existing wire size be your guide, as well as common sense.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Most automotive switches will have a current rating right on them. Using them at higher voltages ( 36-48V ) will be fine. Just use a switch rated ( in amps ) for more than the load. If you look at some of your micro's on your cart, you'll notice that they have a 250V rating on some of them! I however, wouldn't use 12V switches for anything over 48V. It has to do with the insulative value and how fast the contacts inside make and break the circuit.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
TGJR
Gone Wild

I'm putting the finishing touches on my build right now and last night I had the idea to put a hidden SPDT toggle switch on the ignition wire. This would allow me to A) run the cart like normal with a key, B) run the cart without a key if I need to and C) disable the ignition all together while the cart is being stored. I realize the latter option won't stop someone from pushing the cart away but maybe they'll get discouraged enough if they can't use their own key or hotwire the ignition.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
ColbyKiller
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGJR View Post
I'm putting the finishing touches on my build right now and last night I had the idea to put a hidden SPDT toggle switch on the ignition wire. This would allow me to A) run the cart like normal with a key, B) run the cart without a key if I need to and C) disable the ignition all together while the cart is being stored. I realize the latter option won't stop someone from pushing the cart away but maybe they'll get discouraged enough if they can't use their own key or hotwire the ignition.
Actually, that's not a bad idea. I like it. When you figure out what will work, post back up if you don't mind. I might try to do the same thing.
ColbyKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
jvanick
Not Yet Wild

Careful if you get one that lights up tho.. the light or LED inside is usually only meant for 12v and will burn out if you try to run it at 36 or 48 v.
jvanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
TGJR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyKiller View Post
Actually, that's not a bad idea. I like it. When you figure out what will work, post back up if you don't mind. I might try to do the same thing.
Here's my MS Paint schematic.

Basically with the SPDT switch you can run the ignition like normal, bypass the keyed ignition or cut power to it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanick View Post
Careful if you get one that lights up tho.. the light or LED inside is usually only meant for 12v and will burn out if you try to run it at 36 or 48 v.
Of course. It will be a waterproof toggle somewhere out of sight.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO