lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
MooreGo
Not Yet Wild

Default Expected Life Span of EZGO Batteries.

My EZGO was purchased new from a dealer a little over five years ago. It came equipped with six Trojan Mileage Master 105 batteries. I have been reasonably diligent keeping them charged and topped up with distilled water.

I don't play golf and use my cart solely as transportation on the ranch on which my wife and I live in central Texas. I take it for a spin at least once a week for some errand, job, or, just to go looking at the exotics (game ranch).

A few months ago, I was at the dealer for something and asked about battery life and the very experienced tech guy was really surprised that mine were still alive and well after five years.

I would like to ask you guys about what kind of longevity (number of years) from your own experience, one can expect from these batteries?

Also, is it usually safe to assume that all six batteries should be replaced at the same time---especially when they are as old as mine?

Thanx, in advance. This is a great web site and I am tickled pink to have become a member.
MooreGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: Expected Life Span of EZGO Batteries.

5-7 years has been my experience of life expectancy but have seen a few make 10 years. My last Trojans were 6 years old and still going strong before I did a 48v upgrade.
It's best to replace all at the same time.
The key to longevity is care and attention along with a little luck.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

5 yrs is a good run for a set of golf cart batteries and yes at that age there isn't much sense in replacing one or two. It is best to replace them all when the first ones go bad at that age.
Sounds like your usage and maintenance is correct. You may get more like Doug says but on average expect less.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
but on average expect less.
Agreed
Some people don't even look at the batteries until it quits.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
MooreGo
Not Yet Wild

Thanx, guys.

One other related question: Is the normal symptom of batteries about to die (for good) that they are no longer unable to hold a charge for very long? For example, my EZGO now goes for only about two miles before the charge indicator begins to drop pretty dramatically (down to about the 3/4 mark).
Old 09-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

That is correct, sounds like they may have seen better days.
Looking like Scotty's 5 year estimate may be right on the money.
You may just have one weak battery, load test them all to be sure.
Or after the batteries start to die and you get it home post the voltage of each battery and maybe we can help diagnose.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
MooreGo
Not Yet Wild

Doug, if a load test (I'll have to get my hands on a load tester) indicates one extra low battery, aren't I still in the same boat and need to replace them all since they are all so old?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
dougmcp
Gone Wild

It is always the best policy to replace in sets.
If you have 1 bad battery and budget is a concern, you could find an older used battery that is about equal in condition to the good ones you could probably buy it for $25 and squeak through for another year or 2. Know that when you play the one battery at a time thing, it's a bit of a crapshoot.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
MooreGo
Not Yet Wild

Doug, that's what I figured from what you guys have been saying, and, what logic suggests. I think I'll pass on the load test and spring for the full monty. : )
Old 09-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Good Call
I would also check your charger to make sure it is getting up to the proper voltage near the end of the charge cycle it should be in the 44v-46v range.
A perfect set of batteries after charge will rest at 37.2v or above, a new set will be close to 39v.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO