lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Razo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Shocks

Hi All,
Just wondering, what is the best test to tell if my shocks need replacing.
They are not leaking but it is a little rough driving on the course. Not sure whether it is the springs or the shocks.
Thanks
Razo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Shocks

Shocks on am ezgo are more of a dampner not a ride quality changer. Check your springs they cod be sagging. Give more information about the cart.
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Razo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks ColtF
The cart is a 94 Medalist 36v in reasonable condition. I have 10" mag wheels with medium to low profile tyres. I have owned the cart for 2 years, so I don't know if the shocks have ever been changed. I do have a new set of shocks but apparently it is a bit of a chore to change them out. I just don't know whether it is the shocks or is the problem really the leaf springs.
Thanks
Old 10-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It can be a chore if they are rusted on there. If you have them why not change them. But in all reality golf carts are not cadillacs. I mean if you have the factory leafs in there, chances are they are worn excessively. HD springs are goin to be an even stiffer ride so I would suggest pulling a spring and look at them. If you refer to my build thread you can see my old vs new(mine is only a 2002) and you will see what I mean.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Razo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks again ColtF
I will pull out one of the springs.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
twp5253
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

For me, the shocks in the rear look to be very difficult to remove. Getting to the top nut is very hard as the body is in the way. I would want to have a wrench that has a 12 point closed end ratchet device....I did not have that at my river house....I wonder what size that nut is?
twp5253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by twp5253 View Post
For me, the shocks in the rear look to be very difficult to remove. Getting to the top nut is very hard as the body is in the way. I would want to have a wrench that has a 12 point closed end ratchet device....I did not have that at my river house....I wonder what size that nut is?
Should be 9/16", spray some PB blaster on those nuts and bolts on those shocks that will smooth things out.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
twp5253
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHusker View Post
Should be 9/16", spray some PB blaster on those nuts and bolts on those shocks that will smooth things out.
For the top ones, it was more a matter of getting access to the nut and therefore I recommend a closed end wrachet wrench for the job....I will try and remember to take out my 9/16 wrachet wrench next time for that chore. Thank you.
twp5253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
Razo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone for your input. As I had a set of shocks already, I changed out the front last night. Due to advice I read on this website it only took 40 minutes for both. Fortunately the old units were due for replacement and the ride has improved. I will also look at the springs as well.
Thanks again
Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Glad to hear it Razo.

Tags
94 medalist front shocks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO