lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Capt. Hough
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ_GO Textron charger on '88 36 volt cart

Ok, cleaned all terminals and conectors. Found two cable ends that needed replacing and did that, found one cell low on fluid. Cart runs, but all batteries prior to charging show 5 volts. Obviously discharged. Unfortunately my new meter doesn't show decimals. (Never heard of such a thing.)

This old cart came with an Textron EZ-GO charger, here are my concerns.

When I hook it up it seems to be doing ok, except it is in the black, over 20 amps. Is that ok?

Second, the plug on the cord gets hot, and if you pull it out, the prongs are too hot to touch . That can't be good, but what do I know ?

So, let me know what you think. Should I maybe charge a couple at a time in 12 volt series just to get them boosted up before using the EZ-GO charger?

Oh, also, the Batteries are Continentals stamped H4AB into the top. How old are these?
Capt. Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Capt. Hough
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZ_GO Textron charger on '88 36 volt cart

Update, it's down to 14 amps now and not nearly as hot. I think I'm gaining ground.
Capt. Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ_GO Textron charger on '88 36 volt cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Hough View Post
..............Second, the plug on the cord gets hot, and if you pull it out, the prongs are too hot to touch . That can't be good, but what do I know ?..................
Prongs getting too hot to touch means electrical resistance, so you've probably got loose or dirty contacts in the charger plug/receptacle interface.

My guess is the batteries have sat in a discharged state for quite a while, so they probably won't recover, but out of curiosity, I would give it a try.

20A is probably the charger limiting the current flow.
Dropping to 14A is a good sign.

I've never seen a DVM without numbers to the right of the decimal point either.
Maybe it is set on wrong scale. (IE: Measuring >100V on a 1000V scale)
Get a DVM that at least read tenths at 36V and hundredths at 6V.

With batteries that low, the charger might time out before the pack reaches auto cutoff voltage (44-46V), if it will ever reach it.
Try restarting charge cycle if it times out.

What are the pack and individual battery volts after charging?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO