lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
jonequest
Gone Wild

Default Assassin / run time / speed questions

I am wondering which way to go from where I am at now. My cart is a 2004 TXT SERIES that I have recently upgraded to 48 volts with a 500 amp controller. I am running stock ride height with 12"/215 Diameter tires so my tires are a bit taller than the usual 205 size tires. Right now with my stock motor I am just getting 19-20 mph but of course I want more! I would like to get to 30 mph on pavement. I never need to climb hills except the ramps into my truck or trailer once or twice a year. I called PQ today and my choices are Bandit or Assassin. Apparently the green Executioner is for PDS carts. I have read the $225.00 Bandit is a nice but mild upgrade to 25mph and the $650.00 Assassin is like the hulk on steroids. I may just get the Assassin even though it is more than I ever planned to spend on a motor. BUT now I am thinking about run time. I have heard jokes that the assassin will kill your batteries in 30 minutes. Is that true? What if I want to go golfing or cruise around for a while at lower speeds. I regularly take my kids for rides in my neighborhood (at reasonable speed of course) and that activity sometimes lasts for an hour or so. So far I have never had my batteries die. My voltage gauge dropped to 45 volts after lots of running one day recently, I have never gotten it lower than that so far.

Is the Assassin for me? I have also seen a EMP motor on e-Bay for $549.00. The specs are reported as: 1979 to 2010 marathon or medalist SERIES CARTS AND NON DCS CARTS 19 SPLINE, 36V 11.1HP

Seller says 28-30MPH for that motor but did not give RPM's

Suggestions????

I know PQ makes great motors but am unsure if the Assassin will make my cart a 30 minutes or less toy. I was planning to possibly creep for a couple hours in a Mardi Gras parade with it one day.
jonequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
aussiecart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Assassin / run time / speed questions

I cannot comment on the Assassin, but I have the Executioner and I can easily get 36 holes of golf and then some, but at 33 mph they are fast rounds of golf

My cart is standard with 12" tyres, 500a controller, 48v etc. I am glad I paid the extra and bought the Executioner, man that thing really goes. Except if you go with the Assassin then make sure you do something about your brakes, I am getting front and rear disc because I just cannot stop it good enough at 33mph.
aussiecart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiecart View Post
I cannot comment on the Assassin, but I have the Executioner and I can easily get 36 holes of golf and then some, but at 33 mph they are fast rounds of golf

My cart is standard with 12" tyres, 500a controller, 48v etc. I am glad I paid the extra and bought the Executioner, man that thing really goes. Except if you go with the Assassin then make sure you do something about your brakes, I am getting front and rear disc because I just cannot stop it good enough at 33mph.
That is part of what I am worried about as well. I really only want/need 30mph, 33 would be cool too, but I don't need 40. I wish there were a mid range motor for say $350.00. I can afford $225.00 but $650.00 for a motor is a lot of dough. I e-mailed EMP for some motor quotes almost a week ago, then again the other day. They never responded yet. At least PQ answers the phone and tells you what they can do for you.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I would like to see PQ respond to this thread
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
jonequest
Gone Wild

I am experienced in electronic repair and understand the basic way these carts work but have a renewed appreciation for all the variables that decide how fast or how much torque a cart will have when completed. I bet just about every cart out there runs a little different. I may make the no brainer decision and just get the Assassin and hide the bill from my wife. I can always cap the speed in the programming of the controller. Problem is I don't know if I have the will power to do so. :-)
Old 10-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
twp5253
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonequest View Post
That is part of what I am worried about as well. I really only want/need 30mph, 33 would be cool too, but I don't need 40. I wish there were a mid range motor for say $350.00. I can afford $225.00 but $650.00 for a motor is a lot of dough. I e-mailed EMP for some motor quotes almost a week ago, then again the other day. They never responded yet. At least PQ answers the phone and tells you what they can do for you.
The folks at EMP represent a mom and pop operation but they really are worth the effort. Their claim to fame is making Series motors into Two Speed motors so you get the best of both worlds....Kind of like having your cake and getting to eat it too....with ice cream. Some of my best responses have been via email where Chuck, the owner/genius gives very detailed answers. Then, calling the shop can get the deal finalized. I have gone to a Limo Motor which is a bit outside your stated budget because I need max torque to pull jet skis out...It now does wheelies coming up the launch ramp. But, I have a two speed motor that I did 27mph with I was going to ship back. $250 plus shipping. thorne.parker@gmail.com
twp5253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by twp5253 View Post
The folks at EMP represent a mom and pop operation but they really are worth the effort. Their claim to fame is making Series motors into Two Speed motors so you get the best of both worlds....Kind of like having your cake and getting to eat it too....with ice cream. Some of my best responses have been via email where Chuck, the owner/genius gives very detailed answers. Then, calling the shop can get the deal finalized. I have gone to a Limo Motor which is a bit outside your stated budget because I need max torque to pull jet skis out...It now does wheelies coming up the launch ramp. But, I have a two speed motor that I did 27mph with I was going to ship back. $250 plus shipping. thorne.parker@gmail.com
I have e-mailed a girl over there a couple of times who says the engineer will get back with me. Not sure when though.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
jvanick
Not Yet Wild

I have an Assissin in my '95 TXT cart... 23" overall height off-road tires, with a 5" lift kit. I'm currently running a 400amp Alltrax (want to upgrade to a 650amp soon) with 48v.

My top speed on concrete has been GPS'd at 38mph.

I have no problem running the cart all day on road, off road, up hills, etc and having plenty of battery left ... somtimes I ride around for 3 or 4 hours in my neighborhood, plus a trip down the road (3 or 4 miles plus a 1/4 mile or so hill) to the next local bar. probably a total of 20-25 miles or so in one day, some full-throttle, some just putting around. my batteries will still be at around 85% SOC on the battery voltage meter after waiting 4 or 5 hours for them to settle.

I've actually tried in a single day to get below 70% SOC, but I haven't been able to get there yet.

My one complaint, which I'm trying to decide how to address tho is that the Assassin doesn't have a lot of torque... so I have a feeling that the assassin will be up for sale soon and I'll be replacing with a 2-speed motor of some sort... 38mph is too fast for my cart.. I wouldn't mind 30, but I really want more torque.

-J
jvanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
PLUMQUICK
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonequest View Post
I am wondering which way to go from where I am at now. My cart is a 2004 TXT SERIES that I have recently upgraded to 48 volts with a 500 amp controller. I am running stock ride height with 12"/215 Diameter tires so my tires are a bit taller than the usual 205 size tires. Right now with my stock motor I am just getting 19-20 mph but of course I want more! I would like to get to 30 mph on pavement. I never need to climb hills except the ramps into my truck or trailer once or twice a year. I called PQ today and my choices are Bandit or Assassin. Apparently the green Executioner is for PDS carts. I have read the $225.00 Bandit is a nice but mild upgrade to 25mph and the $650.00 Assassin is like the hulk on steroids. I may just get the Assassin even though it is more than I ever planned to spend on a motor. BUT now I am thinking about run time. I have heard jokes that the assassin will kill your batteries in 30 minutes. Is that true? What if I want to go golfing or cruise around for a while at lower speeds. I regularly take my kids for rides in my neighborhood (at reasonable speed of course) and that activity sometimes lasts for an hour or so. So far I have never had my batteries die. My voltage gauge dropped to 45 volts after lots of running one day recently, I have never gotten it lower than that so far.

Is the Assassin for me? I have also seen a EMP motor on e-Bay for $549.00. The specs are reported as: 1979 to 2010 marathon or medalist SERIES CARTS AND NON DCS CARTS 19 SPLINE, 36V 11.1HP

Seller says 28-30MPH for that motor but did not give RPM's

Suggestions????

I know PQ makes great motors but am unsure if the Assassin will make my cart a 30 minutes or less toy. I was planning to possibly creep for a couple hours in a Mardi Gras parade with it one day.
"Assassin" is a AMP HOG.............yes, it will cut into your run time. I would go with a more mid range motor......"Desperado II" $560.00 EZ-GO series 48 volt great torque and speed 28-30 mph, 500 amp controller is good........make sure you have upgraded wires........2ga. would be great, good F&R switch, HD solenoid. We have over 400+ motors that still need to be put up on our web site, I hope by the first of the year to have all our motors up. Hope this helps............
PLUMQUICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
KARTMANX
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have the assassin motor built for torque on my converted ST from txt. Running 72 volts with a 700 amp GE controller. Cart has 20 car wheels and 6" of lift. even with the torque motor I'm running 34 mph on flat concrete. Way fast enough for me. That was with 6 adults on it! Not sure about run time yet but will update when I get a better idea. I'm nearing completion with my build so I'll be able to report more soon.
KARTMANX is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO