lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
ibanender
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 96 TXT slow, or normal speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebob View Post
Have you tested the batteries with a load? Most batteries will show a good reading with no load.
I was gonna do that tomorrow also. After all the water and acid I had to add, especially to 1 of them, I'm re-training them so that should help. Hopefully my gauge will show up tomorrow too, that's obviously easier than trying to watch a DMM.
ibanender is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
ibanender
Not Yet Wild

I left it on the charger overnight and this morning they are sitting at 37.0, the lowest ever, even before I added water. I do have a resistor on the solenoid so you saved me $45 there.

Should I try charging each battery individually and see what happens? Perhaps I only need 1 or 2 batteries and not a whole bank? Most of the batteries read 6.2v and two read 6.0, it's 51 degrees in my shop.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

if you do replace some batts, not all, try to find some good used ones. if you put in new ones they will wear out really fast from over charging.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
ibanender
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
if you do replace some batts, not all, try to find some good used ones. if you put in new ones they will wear out really fast from over charging.
That was the plan from a cost stand point anyway. I'm charging individually and I have 1 suspect battery so far. That could be the root of all evil.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
ibanender
Not Yet Wild

Well, after nursing batteries one by one, I've got them all holding ~6.25v except 1 that was 6.0 after I put a load on it. I took out the acid I could with a baster and replaced it with straight acid and before a charge it went to 6.11v so that clearly helped. I believe all cells test OK on the hydrometer now, or should after this next charge. I realize this means the batteries are sitting at 80% or so and likely is the cause of the problem.

That being said, I've read up on and read a bunch of threads on desulferation and I realize majority will tell me it won't work. However, I've found several instances from people saying some work and some don't and it depends how bad your batteries are. http://www.batteryminders.com/batter...n-p-16143.html That's the one I'm considering that seems to have the most positive result.

I'm looking into this option because I can get it for $130 and most are saying it prolongs life for an extra year. So yes I will end up in batteries in a year, however, I don't anticipate having it more than a year as my intent is to do some major custom work and sell it.

Bottom line, should I invest in a potential 1 year fix, or find the cheapest new batteries I can find to throw in it?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #16
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

sam's club generally have interstate batts for around $70. these will work fine with proper maintenance. check out cartsunlimited for all the best info on this.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #17
ibanender
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
sam's club generally have interstate batts for around $70. these will work fine with proper maintenance. check out cartsunlimited for all the best info on this.
I don't have a Sams membership, what about Costco? I've also been looking around at Carquest (no pricing yet), Sears, and a few local places don't list any specs but advertise $80 a battery.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #18
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

when i went to sam's, they gave you a $40 dollar rebate if spent over $100. that paid the dues.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #19
Duscarter
Getting Wild
Club Car

Wal Marts around here sell the same batteries as Sams with no memberships.
Duscarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
ibanender
Not Yet Wild

I think I'm gonna try beating up the batteries some to knock off any sulfur build up I can and see what happens. I'm not gonna put any more money into these batteries. I called around and Costco has some 220 AH for $79 (he apparently hadn't looked up pricing in 2 months because he was shocked they weren't $66 anymore) and Batteries Plus has Rayovac 215 AH for $84. I will pay more to not go to Walmart or Sam's for that matter, but I have a feeling $79 is the best deal going.

I'll keep the thread updated as I get things taken care of and figured out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO