lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
scubakerny
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Terminal Melting

While driving my 03 ezgo a block or so i started to smell a plastic burning. I checked under the seat and noticed the 5th battery (not sure if it matters) was starting to get hot and melt the lead terminal. This happened to me when i first installed my batteries about 1 year ago, it just so happens that it was the same battery that was doing the same thing. for the past year it has worked just fine after replacing the one battery until today. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
scubakerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #2
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Terminal Melting

loose connection or resistance
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Electrically speaking, where there is heat, there is resistance.
As Colt1991 mention, loose connections have resistance.
Dirty connections, defective cables and undersized cables also have resistance.
Actually, any time a cable, connection or component gets hotter than the hot water coming out of the faucet at your kitchen sink, something is wrong.

Since this has happened twice to the center rear battery location, I'm leaning more towards a "Dirty" connection.
Even if the tightness of the high current cable connections are checked and the exposed surfaces are cleaned regularly, corrosion slowly migrates between the hidden metal to metal contact the same way grass grows through cement. Eventually, the resistance this migrating corrosion causes will generate a lot of heat and bad things will happen. So loosen the nuts and wiggle the battery cables a couple time a year, or take them off and really clean the metal to metal contact areas.

In fact, if your high current cables are 4Ga or larger and in good shape physically and electrically, a dirty contact is the most logical explanation I can think of.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What " JohnnieB " and " Colt " said + examine the terminal end on the cable this happened to. Once overheated, the crimp connection can come loose. Sometimes you may even have to replace it.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
scubakerny
Not Yet Wild

Perfect I will check my connections are tight, clean and the proper gauge.
scubakerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO