lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
runester
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default '86 motor removal

Happy Saturday to everyone.

I need to know if there are any tricks to removing the 36v motor on my '86 cart. This is a last resort to solving a half-speed issue. I have posted threads but as yet no positive results. Did get the F/R switch wired properly( thanks fleagt ).
I removed the three 7/16 bolts and the one 1/2 bolt. Motor slides (with a lot of resistance)away from housing about 1/2" then kinda stopped. I am afraid to force it. Is it going to terminally fall apart once it comes off? Tricks on getting it back on ?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1392479972732.jpg (18.1 KB, 0 views)
runester is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: '86 motor removal

spray some PB blaster on the shaft where they mate, looks like you can get in there, work the motor back and forth on the shaft and it will come off, careful when it does come off the motor is HEAVY
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
T.Hill56
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Wouldn't be the first motor that came off in pieces. If the penetrating lube doesn't work expect the field housing to come off the armature when you pry on it. Not a bad thing necessarily. If that happens, the idea is to get the armature to slide toward the diff with a soft hammer and pry back ON THE COUPLER not the windings. Back and forth a little at a time until the armature releases from the input shaft. In worst case scenario I have had to remove the diff and take a sledge hammer to the armature (it will not survive this procedure) and beat it toward the diff housing and pry back and beat and pry, etc to get them off. Hope yours isn't that stuck.
T.Hill56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
runester
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks rib33024 and T.Hill56. Here goes !?!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
runester
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

HEY! I GOT IT OFF IN ONE PIECE................ NOW WHAT?
HOW DO I GET THING APART TO CLEAN ? I REMOVED THE FOUR 10MM BOLTS ON OPPOSITE END. GUESS I GOT TO BANG IT WITH MY PERSUADER TOOL.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Take loose the nuts from the motor studs, and pull the end cap off, the armature will come out with it. You can also pull the armature out of the motor without taking the end cap off, just note there'll be a lot of resistance as the end of the armature has to pull up out of the bearing in the end cap.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
runester
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
Take loose the nuts from the motor studs, and pull the end cap off, the armature will come out with it. You can also pull the armature out of the motor without taking the end cap off, just note there'll be a lot of resistance as the end of the armature has to pull up out of the bearing in the end cap.
Thanks for your advice but at one point someone switched out the motors and my studs are off set, 2 on armature end cap and 2 on the casing. I saw a video on you tube where this guy is rebuilding an older motor and I see what you are talking about however my motor is not built that way. It is a club car motor but not the one everybody says should be in it.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
rib33024

there should be numbers and letters stamped in the case of the motor, S1 - A1
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Can you post pics? regardless of how the studs are, the armature should pull up out of the motor without taking the end cap off, like I said before, this will likely be hard to do though due to the end stub of the armature being set down into the bearing in the end cap. If you can get that armature pulled out then that might make it more evident how to proceed with taking the rest of the thing apart.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car