lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
dryhmr
Not Yet Wild

Default Washed Batteries equals Dead Controller

I have a 2006 Club Car Precedent. In August, I washed my batteries with a garden hose. When I tried to move the cart it was dead. Removed the cover over the electrical components and the ASM Precharge Resistor was hot. I unplugged the resistor. Took the car into a Club Car Authorized Repair shop and diagnosed a failed controller. They replaced the controller. Car did not seem as fast as before but seemed to work fine. They also said that washing the batteries should not have caused the problem. Batteries are 6 years old but testing revealed the batteries were at about 50% life. Stored my cart for winter. Checked each month. A lot of acid was under cart and a couple of cells were just at the top of the lead plates. Refilled.
You guessed it. Since the repair shop said no problem to wash the batteries with garden hose, lots of acid on batteries, I washed the batteries with the switch in tow mode and car would not move afterwards. Hot resistor and dead controller. Any ideas what is causing this expensive problem?
dryhmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Washed Batteries equals Dead Controller

I have always been leery of using a hose to wash batteries off. I know it is extra work, but I disconnect the batteries and take them out one at a time to clean them off. Just me, maybe I am just too cautious.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have never seen that before...I would suggest disconnecting a battery cable before washing.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
tvj503
Getting Wild

To 55BigBlock.......love that Blue Devil!
tvj503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I agree, I would not use a garden hose to wash off the batteries. When you do work with the batteries, always flip the Run/Tow switch to Tow and I would also disconnect the positive and negative mains.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #6
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Wash acid on batteries off with a baking soda solution not just water. Also the IQ controllers will crap out if you spit on them. They are very susceptible to water damage
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Exactly as Sunoco said.... you got the controller wet. You can submerge the batteries and the controller wouldn't care, but if you get one drop inside the 16-pin connector of the controller, it's over and done with. They are VERY water sensitive. That's why they have controller covers over them unlike the series cars.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I was gonna say years ago we washed batteries off with a hose as part of the bi annual service and never fried one. We take minimal precautions like plastic bag over the control. But we would spay on the cleaner and hose it off. Dang Club Cars anyway
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
dryhmr
Not Yet Wild

Is the other brands of speed controllers just as finicky? Is there a way to seal the 16 pin connector?
dryhmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Dielectric grease? Its non-conductive.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car