lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Default Re: Drained Batteries

Charger turned off. Checked voltage on bank an 37.5v.

MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #12
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Not perfect but not enough to stop your charger so it's time to check the charger out. Unfortunately I have no experience with 36v chargers. Hopefully someone who knows them will weigh in. I assume you can drive your cart at this point using "manual" charging methods?
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Would be drive able, but to wet with the rain/ice we got today. I was able to drive it Monday to bring it into my shop, just wouldn't charge with the 36v charger. I did manual 12v up to where I am now with the 36v charger turning off at 37.5v.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

But when you say "turning off" you mean stopping quickly. Not going thru a proper charging cycle right?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #15
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Earlier when voltage was 36.7v and I plugged the 36v charger in, the 36v charger charged for about 15 minutes then turned off (voltage reading of 37.5v). Now if I plug the 36v charger in, it will turn on, then off after a few seconds.

I did notice that when the charger turned off, the ammeter on the charger was at 18A then to 0 when it turned off. The ammeter did not gradually fall to 0 (not sure if this is normal operation or not). When I disconnected the DC plug and re-plugged the DC plug in, the charger turned on to 18A, then after a few seconds turned off.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #16
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

That doesn't sound normal but again I have no idea what's inside a 36v charger to give you any useful advice as to what might be failed in order to create those symptoms. Maybe try a search on this site for 36v charger for some insight.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #17
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check all the connections on your charging receptacle and the terminals on your charger plug. you may have a poor connection to the batteries. Try cleaning the actual connectors inside of the charging receptacle too. The charger should start a bit higher than 18amps. I have an old Accu Power 36V Club Car charger that usually starts at 20 - 21amps. This is even if I charge the cart, let the charger stop, and then remove and replace the DC plug to start the charge again. Also the amps go down slowly (within minutes if the cart is already charged), it does not just fall from 18amps to 0 right away.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #18
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

I'll check the connections. My charger is a Accu Power (Model 13800).

Would having such new batteries play a part? Doing a search on chargers here, I'm reading alot on new batteries need to be charged/discharged to get to full potential. I haven't been plugging in the cart after each use, but will now start doing to to increase the charge cycle count. Will also try to pick me up a hygrometer.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #19
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

For their entire lives, batteries should be charged after (virtually) every use. Not doing so will shorten their service life. Agreed that if you only move the cart a few hundred yards in a week they can go without, but then at a minimum, they should be charged once a month regardless. BUT now that we know the model - I've attached a manual and troubleshooting guide which does seem to describe your problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf troubleshootingguide.pdf (56.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #20
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

BTW - I assume the batteries have been sitting off-charge for 12 hours or so - if so, now would also be a very good time to record their individual voltages. Look for any battery that has fallen well below it's companions as a possible suspect in causing charger shut-off problems.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car