lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO


Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2020, 12:09 AM   #1
fteti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 12
Default Need to increase speed on 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite

I was wondering if there a trick to speeding up my new 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite? It is MUCH slower than my old 2010 EZ-GO & the dealer said he couldn't make it faster (btw, the turtle/rabbit speed switch has very little effect).

I've read in some posts that some folks (like Bob Boyce) know how this can be accomplished (and may even be able to modify my cart for me), but not sure how that works/costs (don't really want to start taking the cart apart and shipping parts around).

Appreciate the help; Thanks
fteti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:06 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: TN/NC/GA Tri-state area
Posts: 3,952
Default Re: Need to increase speed on 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fteti View Post
I was wondering if there a trick to speeding up my new 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite? It is MUCH slower than my old 2010 EZ-GO & the dealer said he couldn't make it faster (btw, the turtle/rabbit speed switch has very little effect).

I've read in some posts that some folks (like Bob Boyce) know how this can be accomplished (and may even be able to modify my cart for me), but not sure how that works/costs (don't really want to start taking the cart apart and shipping parts around).

Appreciate the help; Thanks
I hope the dealer did not corrupt your Elite... Rabbit/Turtle switch malfunction is one sign of that. If so, continuing to operate it can permanently damage the controller.

All Elite carts must be reprogrammed with the controller in the cart. The BMS is integrated to the controller. Be aware, the Elite version of the S4 and L6 is a bad design from the factory. It is a 72V cart and motor, running from a "48 volt" type lithium pack for the RXV. Due to the lowered operating voltage, the controller must supply more current to the AC motor to retain rotor lock. This means the motor runs hotter than the same cart running from a 72V lead/acid battery pack. It can be turned up, but we do not want to turn it up as much as the 72V operated version. Turning it up all the way would result in motor overheats and shutdowns. So for motor safety we like to limit it to about 27 MPH.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
fteti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 12
Default Re: Need to increase speed on 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I hope the dealer did not corrupt your Elite... Rabbit/Turtle switch malfunction is one sign of that. If so, continuing to operate it can permanently damage the controller.

All Elite carts must be reprogrammed with the controller in the cart. The BMS is integrated to the controller. Be aware, the Elite version of the S4 and L6 is a bad design from the factory. It is a 72V cart and motor, running from a "48 volt" type lithium pack for the RXV. Due to the lowered operating voltage, the controller must supply more current to the AC motor to retain rotor lock. This means the motor runs hotter than the same cart running from a 72V lead/acid battery pack. It can be turned up, but we do not want to turn it up as much as the 72V operated version. Turning it up all the way would result in motor overheats and shutdowns. So for motor safety we like to limit it to about 27 MPH.

Bob
Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I wish I had done more research before buying it. We were pleased w/ our old EZ-Go cart and (since we often leave the cart unattended for weeks/months) I had thought the Lithium batteries were going to be a big plus for us.

As far as I know, the dealer didn't modify anything. Using my iPhone speed app, we recorded speeds of ~14mph (turtle mode) to ~16mph (rabbit mode). Not great accuracy from the app, but the range was fairly consistent (range ~13-17mph). I don't need to be on open roads, so 27mph would be much better than what I have.

If the controller has to be programmed in the cart, how can I get someone to do that (or give me a clue on how to do it)? I've read that you travel to certain folks; any chance you'll be in the Charlotte, NC area some time?

Thanks
fteti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
fteti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 12
Default Re: Need to increase speed on 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite

...

Last edited by fteti; 06-07-2020 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: replied to wrong person
fteti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #5
sirtone
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 14
Default Re: Need to increase speed on 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fteti View Post
Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I wish I had done more research before buying it. We were pleased w/ our old EZ-Go cart and (since we often leave the cart unattended for weeks/months) I had thought the Lithium batteries were going to be a big plus for us.

As far as I know, the dealer didn't modify anything. Using my iPhone speed app, we recorded speeds of ~14mph (turtle mode) to ~16mph (rabbit mode). Not great accuracy from the app, but the range was fairly consistent (range ~13-17mph). I don't need to be on open roads, so 27mph would be much better than what I have.

If the controller has to be programmed in the cart, how can I get someone to do that (or give me a clue on how to do it)? I've read that you travel to certain folks; any chance you'll be in the Charlotte, NC area some time?

Thanks
I would like to get in on this too! I have the same cart it's a elite, but i'm in ohio
sirtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #6
fteti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 12
Default Re: Need to increase speed on 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite

Also, not sure if it helps ..
I just took a look & on top of the model info tag w/ the following info...
Model: 1234SE-6350
Voltage: 80V
Current: 350A
Date Code: 19155P
...
there's a sticker applied w/ the following info:
ADVBL6/Lx6
Software: 6974022 REV: B2
SVC_Controller: 697454

PS: The turtle/rabbit switch does have a slight effect. Using the SpeedBox app on my phone... in turtle mode I get a steady 14mph (max) & in rabbit mode I get a steady 16mph (max).
fteti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #7
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID
 
TheCartBoy's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 1,698
Default Re: Need to increase speed on 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I hope the dealer did not corrupt your Elite... Rabbit/Turtle switch malfunction is one sign of that. If so, continuing to operate it can permanently damage the controller.

Bob
The controller is not going to become permanently damaged because the dealer made some tuning adjustments using - it can always be reverted. The rabbit turtle switch can be disabled through software depending on which profile the dealer selects.
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:00 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: TN/NC/GA Tri-state area
Posts: 3,952
Default Re: Need to increase speed on 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCartBoy View Post
The controller is not going to become permanently damaged because the dealer made some tuning adjustments using - it can always be reverted. The rabbit turtle switch can be disabled through software depending on which profile the dealer selects.
Try telling that to those that have experienced this first-hand. Some have had to buy new controllers because what the dealers did violated their warranty.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
BEdge
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 6
Default Re: Need to increase speed on 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Try telling that to those that have experienced this first-hand. Some have had to buy new controllers because what the dealers did violated their warranty.
Bob;

I understand that you are not going to travel out west but my cart speed is intolerable. Is there some other solution? Can I buy/rent your system and pay to fedex the hardware here and fedex it back to you and pay you to facetime me through the process? Can I just buy a whole new controller?
I cannot drive 15MPH. Are there solutions we could expore?
BEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #10
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID
 
TheCartBoy's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 1,698
Default Re: Need to increase speed on 2020 EZ-GO L6 Express Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEdge View Post
Bob;

I understand that you are not going to travel out west but my cart speed is intolerable. Is there some other solution? Can I buy/rent your system and pay to fedex the hardware here and fedex it back to you and pay you to facetime me through the process? Can I just buy a whole new controller?
I cannot drive 15MPH. Are there solutions we could expore?
The profile limit is 16 MPH. But there are other parameters that can be adjusted that will result in high speeds.

A curtis handset is going to give you access - quite pricey but if you are willing to buy a new controller this is probably a better option.

amazon.com/PANGOLIN-1313-4431-1311-4401-Programmer-Programming/dp/B07QLLT1JC
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2020, elite, ez-go, modify, speed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
2020 EZ-GO Express s4 Elite Speed Increase Electric EZGO
2020 EZGO Express L6 Elite Newbe Lithium EZGO
2020 EZGO Express S4 Elite Electric EZGO
2020 Ezgo express L6 SPEED Electric EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This Website and forum is the property of Buggiesgonewild.com. No material may be taken or duplicated in part or full without prior written consent of the owners of buggiesgonewild.com. © 2006-2017 Buggiesgonewild.com. All rights reserved.