lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2015, 06:26 AM   #1
Pixelpusher
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Can't Figure This Out

Happy New Year everyone.

So my 2007 EZGO gas (Robin engine,) has been having some issues related to firing to the plugs. I have replaced plugs and wires, but it seems to lose fire. I get stranded and the only way to get back to the shop is to remove one of the plug wires and hold it at a distance from the spark plug in order to get the cart to fire up and get me home. What can be causing this issue? I am stumped on this one.

I appreciate the feedback.
Pixelpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: Can't Figure This Out

That's an old trick for an ailing ignition system.
Making a gap between the plug and wire makes the ignition fire "hotter", but can cause damage to the components.

I would check to see if the ground to the engine is loose, dirty, or failing under heat.
If the ground is good, start looking at the coil. Make sure the mounting connection to the bracket and motor are clean and tight.
Even if the connections "look" clean, clean them anyway.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:15 AM   #3
Pixelpusher
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you for the info. I assume that you're talking about the battery ground, or is the coil grounded separate?

Either way, I'll look at all of it and see if there is an issue. My initial thought was that it was the coil. The cart has the dual ignition coil and it looks to be the original, which would make it about 8 years old perhaps.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

it's not uncommon for carts from the early 90's to still be running fine on the original dual coil so I would have a hard time assuming yours was bad on an '07... I'm going to second the opinion that all the grounds should be thoroughly cleaned (a very VERY common cause of electrical issues with these carts) ... Battery to frame, battery to engine, coil mount to engine, coil to mount, etc (if You find a grounding point, clean it up) - it also wouldn't hurt to check all your plug connectors (coil, pulsar wires from engine, etc) and spray them out really well with some contact cleaner (prob run You about $4 at an Auto Parts or Hardware store)

Once You can ascertain the integrity and path of the electrical system, then it becomes a lot easier to accurately troubleshoot, if need be, so You're going to have to do all this stuff anyway before You get to diagnosing anything - but I'd be willing to bet just a good once-over of the connections, etc will solve the problem. No guarantee, of course - but generally 75% or more of these type of issues are connection / corrosion related.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:57 AM   #5
Pixelpusher
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Gotcha! Thanks so much for all of the valuable information. So another question is this; how should the plug wires be correctly inserted into the dual coil? I have noticed that there is a pointed pin inside the coil. Do the ends of the plug wires need to be seated directly into that pointed pin?

Thanks in advance again. I am learning a lot about this cart.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Yes, the wires press onto the pins
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I thought the pins were threaded - twist clockwise and insert in one motion.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO