lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2021, 06:01 PM   #1
HarryT
Gone Wild

Default Lock nut size on steering rack

What is the lock nut size on the steering rack. I tried a 1 1/2" and that was too big. I don't want to buy the wrong socket. I have a 3/4" allen socket to adjust the tension after I get the lock nut loose.
Thanks;
Harry
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Lock nut size on steering rack

Pipe wrench size.

Dunno exactly, but it’s on there tight, and it has thread lock on it. Do not heat it, because the tension block inside is plastic and you can melt it if you try to heat up the housing or the nut.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #3
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just measured mine on a 98 DS. It measures 1 27/64", closest standard size socket seems to be 1 7/16" (1/64" larger) or 36 mm (about 0.11mm larger).

When I needed to tighten my rack I tried all manner of tools (mostly plumbing) and failed. I ended up borrowing a wrench from my local cart shop, I can't recall what size, but it was looser than I would like. I bought a large adjustable wrench but access and lack of leverage made it impossible to use.

Here's a link to a socket that is listed as 1 27/64" or 36mm. But I think a 1 7/16" or 36mm box wrench may be the way to go. The nut is so thin that a socket will likely twist off due to lack of engagement.

I'm sure someone has the answer to this question.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rack.jpg (215.6 KB, 0 views)
DaveMJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:45 AM   #4
HarryT
Gone Wild

DJOHNS 18;
Thanks for letting me know it is 36 MM. I looked in my tool box and found a brand new socket. I tried it on the steering rack on my cart and it fits almost perfect. I will take it to work on Thursday and loosen the lock nut. The socket has flat edges, not rounded at all so I don't think it will slip.
Again Thanks Y'all;
Harry
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car