lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
Len1515
Not Yet Wild

Default E-Z go Golf Cart type and manual

Hi I am trying to figure out how this golf cart gas pedal works. I do not no the model but I have a E-z go cart that starts when you press the gas pedal. It is a gasoline motor The Manufactures tag shows the serial number :601177 and a manufactures code number H0290. When I step on the gas pedal to start it the starter motor will not always turn. It seems like you have to pump the gas pedal to get the starter motor to turn. The battery is good. The machine acts the same way if I put a battery charger on the battery. It acts like the gas pedal is a variable resistor that maybe dirty?
Does anyone has any ideas?

Thank You
Len
Len1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2021, 04:05 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: E-Z go Golf Cart type and manual

Take a look at the starter / generator. It probably has rubber plugs near the back end that cover the motor brushes. You can pull these in situ and inspect the brushes. you will probably find them filthy dirty and probably worn out and arcing. Easy and cheap to replace, so worth doing anyway considering the age of your cart. They are probably the original brushes.

If this is not your problem, then come back and we will sort out a few other things to check.

Likely other suspects are worn out solenoid, failing pedal switch etc.

From the manufacturers code, I am assuming you have a single cylinder two stroke engine. Not my speciality, but I am pretty sure the starter setup is similar to the four stroke twins.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It looks like it should be a single cylinder 2 stroke known as a 3pg. You will find your manual in post #25 of this link. https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...=105501&page=3

The pedal switch is a simple on off microswitch. It's identical to the other two microswitches located in the forward/ reverse switch.

You should clean all of your ground connections, and your battery connections. Sometimes hidden corrosion in the positive battery cable will cause your symptoms.

If it's the brushes, you will still hear the solid click of the solenoid even when acting up.

Check you brushes as Cartmaster said, and start cleaning connections.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Good call Cart around. I missed those points completely LOL. must be on the downhill slope to senility as another decade has just slipped past me unnoticed LOL.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:20 AM   #5
Len1515
Not Yet Wild

Now I have to figure out how to jack up the cart to get to the starter and find the rubber plugs to check the brushes.
Thanks Cartmaster and Cart around
Old 09-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Make sure it's not just a loose belt and needs tightening.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:36 PM   #7
Len1515
Not Yet Wild

I spent hours cleaning and testing wires and switches. I found out the if I take out the spark plug the starter will turn fast. Is there any type of starter capacitor on a starter? Is there a way the engine will release compression?
I tried jumping the cart battery from the car battery and still no luck. I removed the brushes they where clean and not worn. I cleaned the armature. It looks shiny and clean. Do you have any other idea?
Thank you
Old 09-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

There is no start capacitor. It's spinning faster without the plug because there is no compression. There is no compression release.

Jump your car battery directly to the starter. See what happens.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:26 AM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Take one half of a set of "good" jumper cables and attach one end to the neg battery post and the other to a clean part of the engine block and try it.

You have a amp resistance somewhere in your big cable starting circuit so you might read 12V on a meter but not the FULL amps to turn the motor under compression, either your ground cable(s) are dirty/loose/corroded, or your positive cables are the same.
From battery to solenoid, solenoid itself, shift lever connections or to starter, check all of the cables on the starter as well.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO