lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
nod
Not Yet Wild

Default battery charger won't kick on

Hi Group,
I have a CC 2005 DS regen cart. Last week I charged it with no problem. Tonight I plugged up and the charger doesn't work. The charger works on a 1997 CC DS cart. Plus I have a second charger that works. What I did last week was replace a bad voltage reducer. While the reducer didn't have and instructions it had a + and - input and a + and - output. I hooked the input to the + and - on the battery pack. I hooked the output to the + and - going to the lights. The lights work fine. The batteries were new in the spring of this year. Trogan 8 volt batteries. I check the batteries weekly in both carts. Any thoughts?

Thanx, nod
nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: battery charger won't kick on

Maybe your OBC ground is not getting enough contact. Are the ground wires on top or under the cable?
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
nod
Not Yet Wild

The wire coming from volt meter is under the ground cable and the voltage reducer is on top of the ground cable.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
nod
Not Yet Wild

the connections are all clean and tight.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just a thought does not make much difference though,you probably have a bad relay in the charger. Does it make a metallic CLICK after you plug in the charger? thats the OBC knowing the charger has been plugged in.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
nod
Not Yet Wild

I plugged the charger into my 1997 CC DS non regen and it works fine.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

You have an IQ car not a regen,2002 was the last year for a regen.It could have ruined the OBC if you arced some wires.A IQ car has a porthole under the F@R switch whre you can plug in a programmer and see what the problem is in about 30-seconds.Its a lot better than doing a lot of testing and spending money on things you dont need.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
nod
Not Yet Wild

Yep, you are right about the cart being an IQ. I should remember that now My old voltage reducer sparked BIG TIME when I tried replacing the fuse. Plus I sparked at the battery posts a couple of times before deciding the reducer was bad. I charged the cart after that and it charged normally. Since I added the new reducer (without sparking it) the charger won't start. I will go back and double check the grounds at the battery post. I will probably disconnect the reducer and see what happens. I would have to take the cart to a repair shop for having a programmer plugged in. I will be out of town for a few days so I will have to mess with it when I get back. Thank-you for the help.

nod
Old 09-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
nod
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: battery charger won't kick on

Hi Golfcarfixer, I found the problem!! This morning I was out messing around with the ground cable and no joy. I started looking at the charger receptacle and noticed the big red wire wasn't hooked up. The guy helping me wasn't feeling well and forgot about it. The wire had fell down between the batteries and the cart body. I hooked it up to the + side of the battery pack and every thing works great. Thank you again for your help

nod
Old 09-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

LOLDont feel bad as I have done this a few times myself.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car