lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Default head gasket?

ok stupid question......need a simple answer! is there supose to be a gasket between the jug(cylinder wall) and the low compression (old style) head? i would think so, but with a double wall on the head i would also see it not needing one. soooo anwer away boys! i will send picture if i have too! sarcasm reponses are also welcome! i just think it should have one and theres not one.

ok forgot to ask this too, what with the new style head being a high compression, is this a epa thing, for a cleaner burn to meet epa regulations, or just something they did to change things up? (insert smart ars comment here)
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Whitespider
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: head gasket?

Quote:
From Harley Golf Car Service Manual: Section 3, Page 7
ASSEMBLING CYLINDER AND PISTON
Clean both the cylinder and head joint faces and apply aluminum paint to each surface and install the cylinder head. Install and torque mounting bolts or nuts uniformly and evenly to 17-21 ft-lbs.
If you would like I could draw you a pretty picture with colors.

But seriously, there is an aluminum head gasket available from the different parts outlets that works a ton better than aluminum paint did.

The "High Compression" head engine was introduced on the Harley Golf Cars in 1971... before there was an EPA.
Whitespider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Whitespider, very good info! Never heard of that before......and

The "High Compression" head engine was introduced on the Harley Golf Cars in 1971... before there was an EPA.

Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

hey white spider thats what i thought! well with he head gasket it is! i mean a head gasket is suppose to go on the head! not the jugs!

and yess i would love a pretty picture with pretty colors! could i ak for bright green and hot pink, and ohhh please include the silver head gasket! ha ha ha!

so as i sit here looking at my head and notice no paint on the jug or no real visable paint on the head, and what appears to be carbon on both sides of the head seals, i assume i need to get me a head gasket, a clutch plug, and some other misc parts i need for it! yup 200 for the cart and 150 in parts!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Whitespider
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

200 + 150 is better than I did...
Mine went 100 + 500 and I ain't done.
Whitespider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I have used a soft aluminum soda can and made my own head gasket and I also have used Permatex aviation form-a-gasket that I used to use when I put Volkswagen engine cases together but if you need to take it off again it may be a little difficult (Not impossible but it just does not fall off). Some form of gasket is needed on all of them. My 648 Indian Scout also used Permatex for a head gasket (improved compression). The soda can can be cut easily if you don't want to wait for a new one and works just as well.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
Rogerbishop
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Does the head gasket have a top and bottom and do they need sealant on G8 Yamaha
Rogerbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #8
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

No! for the HD. It has been too long since I worked on the G2-G9 series engines. The Yamaha folks can help you there.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbishop View Post
Does the head gasket have a top and bottom and do they need sealant on G8 Yamaha
Yes there is a top and bottom and no. No sealant is needed.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Yes there is a top and bottom and no. No sealant is needed.
The raised "bump" needs to be facing the cylinder head.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson