lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default How did I fix it?

Got my workhorse running, just not sure why.

For a little background, I adjusted the valves a while back when it wouldn't start and had lost torque. Problem was every week or so it would die or wouldn't start, and it always turned out to be a valve had loosened up and was out of adjustment. Guess I was afraid to tighten too much and break a bolt.

So for the last couple times. It wouldn't start a week or so ago, and I thought it was the same problem. The next day it started and I was fine for the next week. Then the other day it wouldn't start again. Tried for a couple mornings, but nothing. It is cold, in the 20s or 30s, but I've had no problem starting even in the teens. Today I decided to check the valves, but everything was fine. I checked the plugs, they looked a little wet, but then I'd been trying to get it to start for a while.

I decided to pull the fuel line from the pump to make sure I was getting gas. Took the line off at the pump and turned it over. Got gas out of the pump, and all of a sudden the cart started. I took my foot off the gas and tried again, and it started. I put the line back on the pump and turned it over and again it started fine.

So how did I fix it? I put fuel in a few days ago, could I have tightened the cap too tight and I ended up with a vaccum so gas couldn't get to the carb?

I'm glad it's running, but I'd like to know why.

Thanks for any help.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Ghall
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How did I fix it?

Merry Christmas
Ghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
racin161
Gone Wild

Well you said you put fuel in had it been ran out of gas? or just topped off. I also think there is a check valve on the line in the tank. It is possible that it is failing letting the fuel return to the tank instead of keeping it in the line. Air don't burn well. The tank or cap would have to be vented at some point so again if it was plugged yes it could cause a vacuum. I think you may be on the right track but just need to eliminate the problem maybe try to loosen the cap for a bit and see how it performs. How about removing the line again and using low pressure air blow back to the tank and see if air escapes in the tank. Valve letting fuel return. Just thoughts K.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
reinman88
Gone Wild

I was just topping off the tank when I put in gas. If I remember correctly this has happened twice. At least I think one other time I added some gas and the next day had starting problems, but eventually it started.

In both cases I used the cart right after adding gas. I'm wondering if there is some crud in the tank and by adding gas I stir it up. Then by running the cart right away I suck something up in the line which causes a vacuum and doesn't allow gas to the pump. When I unhooked the line the vacuum was broken and the piece of gunk fell back into the tank. Of course that may not be the case since I unhooked the line on the engine side of the pump and the gunk would have to have been on the gas tank side of the pump.

I'm thinking if everything goes fine till the next time I fuel up, I'll add fuel but not run the cart till the next day to give any gunk time to settle in the tank. Then see if things work fine.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

I guess worth a try. If it is the problem guess you'll have to drain the tank clean and replace the fuel filter.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You may look into the carb bowl vent to be sure it is clean?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Wet plugs would imply your getting fuel but no spark. May be a loose wire on the coil. Get some starting fluid and if it does it again, spray a little in the carb while turning it over, if it tries to start you have a fuel problem, if nothing, start looking at the ignition circuit.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
reinman88
Gone Wild

Quote:
You may look into the carb bowl vent to be sure it is clean?
I'll take a look. She started fine again yesterday. I think I'm going to see if it starts and runs good all this week without doing anything else to it. If it does, then the only constant to it not starting is the addition of new fuel, and running the cart right after adding the fuel.

Quote:
Wet plugs would imply your getting fuel but no spark. May be a loose wire on the coil.
Normally I'd agree with that. But that wouldn't answer why after taking the fuel line off at the fuel pump the cart starts and runs.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If the cart was running right before you added fuel, the bowl was full of fuel. If you tried to restart it then, it had fuel so the line being disconnected would not matter. Simple spark test is take one of the wires loose, put a spare plug in the boot and lay it on the block. Spin it over and look for spark..

It also could be a vent problem like Dooms suggested but I would think removing the cap would relieve that vacuum. It may also be a blocked fuel bowl vent but the wet plugs still bugs me. Pulling the carb and giving it a good cleaning would be a step in the right direction and it couldn't hurt.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO