lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
heylookitsdylan
Not Yet Wild

Default '91 Marathon 3pg "failure to launch!"

Hello all!

First off, I have a '91 Marathon (gas), That i bought with ZERO compression!

So I did what just about anyone would do, and bought a top end kit and new fuel pump.

So a couple days ago, I pulled the motor, and replaced the jug, piston, and all the gaskets in between. I also replaced the fuel pump as the cart had sat for a long time, and i was sure the diaphram wouldnt be any good.

Rebuild seemed to go smooth (as ive rebuilt MANY 2 stroke ATV's and bikes before), And the crank bearings seemed to be perfect as well. I got it all buttoned up, including deleting and plugging off the oil injection set up! and put a few gallons of 40:1 premix in the tank. It fired right up!

I drove it down the street a few times, but when i came to drive up my driveway, which is an incline, it has ZERO power! I all but had to push it back up! (I double checked my clutches and my belt, Clutches seem to be doing their job, and the belt is about 1 3/16' wide)

Which brings me to my problem now, It doesnt want to start! I started by testing compression, And at Wide open throttle shows about 110-115psi and held it for a few hours. I replaced my spark plug with a new one, just to eliminate that variable. Im not sure if the fuel pump lost prime over night? because when unhooked it seems to not put out any fluid, Or air for that matter! I did get it to fire with a funnel and a short fuel line over the carb, But didnt seem to have very much power!

Im starting to wonder if I made the newbie mistake of installing one of the piston rings upside down....

Any suggestions? I want to drive my cart!!! haha.
heylookitsdylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '91 Marathon 3pg "failure to launch!"

Welcome!How are the crank-seals?Did you replace them,or did one possibly get damaged? Did the timing-plate loosen and move?A ring could be flipped,but I don't remember if it matters on a 2-stroke.Could one of the rings have popped-out and broke?Remove the fuel-pump,crank the engine and see if you feel pulse at the port.If not,either a seal or cylinder problem has surfaced.You may have multiple issues going on.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
heylookitsdylan
Not Yet Wild

I didn't notice anything wrong with the crank seals, but I also don't know how to check them!

I will check to see if I have pressure from the crank case in the morning!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

While cranking the motor over,squirt starting fluid near the crank-seal.If the engine fires,seals are leaking.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
heylookitsdylan
Not Yet Wild

Sounds like a plan! I'll try that in the morning!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
heylookitsdylan
Not Yet Wild

I gave the seals a good hosing while trying to crank, no luck there! And I don't feel much of a pulse out of the crank case tube either... But not sure how much the fuel pump requires?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check that the base gasket didn't suck in, If you don't use gasket sealer there it can get sucked into the case and cause the same condition as a bad seal. Retighten the cylinder base nuts.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
heylookitsdylan
Not Yet Wild

Whoops, yet another thing I didn't do. Haha. Golf carts are a different world evidently!

Looks like I better order up a new set of rings, gasket set, and maybe crank seals! Do I have to split the cases to change crank seals? Or can they be done while still together?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

You can change the seals externally,just have to pull the flywheel to do that one.Pop the clutch for the other side.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
heylookitsdylan
Not Yet Wild

I'll have to order some parts! Looks like from everythingcarts I have to buy another piston to get the rings. And I don't see the crank seals available separate?

Ideas?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO