lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: need help starter/ generator problems

D if you have the brushes ordered I'd wait for them to arrive and replace them. Cleaning the armature with scotch bright is correct so it's nice and clean. I think your on the right path. If the solenoid clicks each time you depress the peddle it's good. Ahh and sorry about not mentioning the ground at the f/r switch DAVE got me on that

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah im going to replace them considering its out and apart. The solenoid is clicking so I hope it just the old cables or a ground. The cables are frayed and very brittle.... so as of now im waiting on the wire and connectors and brushes. If its not the brushes, solenoid, or wires what else could it be? I charged the battery and is holding strong at 12.6 volts. The armature had a shiny metallic coating on it off the brushes I cleaned it and blowed the housing out. Its for sure a lot cleaner will keep posting
Dmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
tabaker
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am new to this forum but I do work around a lot of 12 volt motors. If the A2 wire itself was getting hot and not just the connection that is a sign of pulling to many amps. Usually the starter working too hard or shorted internally. Did the motor itself get hot when you were cranking it over or just the wire? I would disconnect both belts and see what it does. If the starter runs alright then I would pull the plug out and make sure the engine spins freely. With the plug out there will be no compression so the crank should spin pretty easily. If the engine spins freely reinstall the v-belt to the engine and crank it over still without the plug in. It should spin fast and easy. If you have or can get a voltmeter you should have about 12 volts with one wire of the voltmeter on F2 and the other wire on A1 with the f/r switch in forward and the peddle pushed. Hope this helps.
tabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Just the wire was hot... that is the one that the connector just fell off in my hand. The hope is its just bad wires the old connectors are covered in a thick black carbon. When I make the new ones im gonna use 6 gauge awg wire with heavy duty connectors and conductive grease. That should eliminate that problem! Hopefully! Im new as well to this site and to carts lots of help I know lol. Now its the waiting game. What is a sure fire way of testing grounds. The one that goes to the fan housing is popping up in a lot of threads ive been reading. But ive cleaned and brushed it thoroughly.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
tabaker
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The proper would be with a voltmeter. You should have 12 volts on the battery and 12 volts on the starter when its running normally. If not something is dirty, high resistance, or the starter working way to hard. Without a voltmeter it makes it hard/a guess but if something is getting hot then thats not right. So if a connection is hot it is probably dirty. If the wire itself is hot enough that it's starting to smoke then the starter is probably drawing too much current,working way too hard, and making the wire get hot. Normally brushes would be less current I think. The crap in the armature could cause more current. Also the engine being hard to spin or that belt you put on the pully's dragging making the starter work harder is going to make things get hot. Thats why I suggested taking the belts off and seeing what happens.
tabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #16
racin161
Gone Wild

When replacing the brushes remove the screw lift the spring and remove. Then lift the spring install the brush and here's the trick leave the brush high in the holder and let the spring hold it in place do this on all 4 tighten the screws and install the armature and bearing. Now you see why you have the springs holding the brushes up and out of the way. After the end cap is installed push the brushes down and make sure the springs are on top of the brushes the replace the rubber covers and you have replaced the brushes. Still think brushes and cables will solve your problem.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #17
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: need help starter/ generator problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin161 View Post
When replacing the brushes remove the screw lift the spring and remove. Then lift the spring install the brush and here's the trick leave the brush high in the holder and let the spring hold it in place do this on all 4 tighten the screws and install the armature and bearing. Now you see why you have the springs holding the brushes up and out of the way. After the end cap is installed push the brushes down and make sure the springs are on top of the brushes the replace the rubber covers and you have replaced the brushes. Still think brushes and cables will solve your problem.

LOU

Thanks Lou I will do that. They should be here tomorrow or Thursday. I was wandering how to hold them out of the way to get back over the armature! Youre the man !!!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #18
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Got the brushes in and the starter all back together. I got the new wire but im still waiting on the ends that I ordered to get here. We are in the middle of a ice storm now or I would have the starter back in!! After seeing the old brushes compared to the new im glad I went ahead and replaced them.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #19
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well got all new wires and new brushes...same problem. Guess I will go back to the drawing board! I charged my battery it held 12.4 volts I tried starting for 3 or 4 mins and its dead, I will try to pick up a new one in a few days. The wires look good but man its like a punch in the gut with this @#$& thing one thing after another somethings gotta give soon or.....
Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #20
chardonite
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it worked before you messed with the engine it should still work. I would check and see how hard it is to turn the engine. If for some reason the engine turns to hard the starter will smoke every time.
chardonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO