lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
tgaff
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Under charging battery's

I have a 2010 Precedent bought used from a dealer. The cart has 2010 Crown 8volt CR165 battery's. Was told by dealer these are OEM. When charging the volts never read more than 53. From what I gather the volts should read at least 58 towards the end of the charge cycle. I have two PD3 chargers and both do the same thing when charging. So I don't think it is my chargers. From what I have read the OBC controls the amount of voltage the cart is receiving and the battery's don't seem to hold a charge. So here are my QUESTION"S. Did I destroy my battery's by continuously under charging? Could it be a bad OBC? Or are the battery's shot and the OBC reacting to the bad battery's? I know I will be replacing battery's soon, not sure if I should dump the OBC and go with a after market charger, or should I try a new OBC and stick with the PD3 charger. Would like to do what's best if I am going to spring for new set of battery's.
tgaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Under charging battery's

first check each battery for voltage they should be 8.49v each, if one is lower than the others it may be bad

also try an OBC reset

then if you get the same reading run cart around for about an hour then do an OBC by pass and charge keep an eye on it and see if it raises above the 53v you had before
if it does then OBC is not reading pack right .. if it stays at 53v then batteries are nearly dead .. a dead cell may be to blame
Old 09-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
tgaff
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

CTD, I did a battery check, this is what I got. 8.30 8.43 8.38 8.35 8.37 8.27 With a overall pack reading of 50.1 after about a 7 hour rest. I have tried the OBC reset more than once in the last few months with same results. The last one being yesterday. Never could get the reverse buzzer to sound (it does work). But I hear that is common. Going to try the OBC bypass. By doing the OBC bypass I assume you mean jumping out the charger? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Are you taking the pack voltage while the charger is on? Does the cart run with plenty of power? Your battery voltages are good.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
crash test dummy

to by pass OCB
DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.…do not attempt unless you are familiar with electricity and electronics!
There are two ways to force the charger to turn on regardless of the OBC.

The first method is to disconnect the cart’s gray wire at the fuse near the charger receptacle. Then using a jumper wire, connect the receptacle side of the fused connector to the cart’s negative battery terminal. This will energize the charger’s 48V relay. If the charger doesn’t come on, it could be bad connections, wiring or charger relay.

The second method is to open the charger and remove the 120V wires from the relay and jump these together. This totally bypasses the relay and the OBC wire.

(If charger comes on but the charger ammeter shows 0 amps, check the fuse at the charging receptacle under the clear plastic cover.)

Both of these methods should both be temporary measures for troubleshooting, or as an emergency method of charging the batteries when they have been discharged so far that the OBC will not charge them.

The OBC provides the optimum method of charging the cart’s batteries. If the OBC is bad, it should be replaced
Old 09-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
tgaff
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Jakesnake27 the voltage was taken with about a 7 hour rest.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
tgaff
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Are you taking the pack voltage while the charger is on? Does the cart run with plenty of power? Your battery voltages are good.
The pack voltage was taken with about a 7 hour rest.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
tgaff
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
first check each battery for voltage they should be 8.49v each, if one is lower than the others it may be bad

also try an OBC reset

then if you get the same reading run cart around for about an hour then do an OBC by pass and charge keep an eye on it and see if it raises above the 53v you had before
if it does then OBC is not reading pack right .. if it stays at 53v then batteries are nearly dead .. a dead cell may be to blame
I did the OBC bypass on the charger with the same result, 53volts. Looks like I will be in the market for some new battery's sooner than I expected. Leaning towards Trojan. Better get out and check some prices. Thanks for your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car