lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
08YDRE
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 08 ydre intermittent drive issue

First post to this sight. I have an 08 ydre with an intermittent run issue. I pull it out of the garage in forward, I get out, load golf clubs, get back in and press the pedal to go forward and nothing happens! I then switch it to reverse and it backs up no problem! I will then put it back in forward, press the pedal and it continues to go in reverse??? I have switched the tow/run switch and it doesn't affect it. I will then let it sit for a day and go out and it runs fine with no issues??? It has been in the shop at PGA West here in La Quinta Ca for the last 2 weeks and they can not get it to reproduce the problem. The "shop" has said it could be the "wiring harness" or a "switch" down on the pedal?? Don't want to randomly start replacing parts for the obvious reasons and I can't really afford to do that!! Any help will be appreciated! Almost ready to have them bring it back and try and find another shop!!!!
08YDRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 08 ydre intermittent drive issue

I would replace the fwd/rev switch first.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
08YDRE
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Good Morning, thank you for the reply. Just got off the phone with the shop. I've told them to replace the the F&R switch and send it back to me. He said that switch was $50. Seems a bit high for a toggle switch??! Regardless I want my cart back. Without the problem really being diagnosed I guess this is the best route to go as he still could not get it to reproduce the issue. He started talking about the controller being bad and quoted approximately $1200 for a new controller!!! Is that what I should expect to pay?? Especially without a diagnoses!!! Friggin crazy?!?!? What I meant in my first post about randomly replacing parts!! Thanks again for the reply!
Old 12-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The stock controller retails for $600 something.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
08YDRE
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thank you for the info CG and Volt. Cart should be back this afternoon. I'll see what happens and if the problem reoccurs then I'll need to find another shop or go get a multi meter and start trying myself. When it comes to electrical stuff it's all Greek to me!
Old 12-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you need a controller, get something other than the stock one. I got Alltrax and it is nicer, more flexible, and cheaper than the one you will get from Yamaha.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #7
08YDRE
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Smile Re: 08 ydre intermittent drive issue

Thank you Volt. I will consider that for sure. I'm guessing my cart is the g22 based on other threads I've read. (brake lock in corner of pedal). The current configuration has been modified for speed. It goes about 20 to 22 mph. I'm guessing the controller is somewhat easy to replace? Disconnect batteries and confirm the wires are all back in the correct locations?? Is your controller capable of speed upgrade? If so, how is it done?? To many questions for now I guess. Let me get this thing back and see what happens. Thank you and CG again for the replys. They are appreciated.

PS.....figured out how to get my avatar up!!!
Old 12-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #8
LPnTX
Gone Wild

Don't buy the stock Moric controller. Get the Alltrax XCT
LPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

G22 wasn't available in '08, only "Drive" G29. Drive also had brake pedal with "corner latch". And a G22 controller won't plug into "Drive" wire harness.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My G29 had Moric controller and the Alltrax was a direct plug-in. Took me an hour to swap it out and set it up.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha