lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Speed vs distance

What throttle setting will result in the most miles traveled from a full charge? I would think WFO would, or is there a cruise speed (throttle setting) that would provide most miles from full charge?
Mikefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2020, 07:43 AM   #2
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Speed vs distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefili View Post
What throttle setting will result in the most miles traveled from a full charge? I would think WFO would, or is there a cruise speed (throttle setting) that would provide most miles from full charge?
I would think someone might have the answer to this question.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

there is so many different variables that it would be impossible to make one general setting for all. tire size , terrain , battery health just to name a few all would play a part on how many miles you could achieve in a single charge
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:58 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is not really one answer that will fit all scenarios, but things that improve efficiency of DC motors are:

Keep the "throttle rate" as low as you can tolerate, DC motors can only efficiently convert so much current to rotational movement, if you allow the motor access to more current the "extra", the extra consumed current is wasted as heat.

Keep the max rpm low, like below 4,500 rpm as the DC motor efficiency goes down as you get pass the Motor rated rpm.

What is "WFO"?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post

What is "WFO"?
Wide F------ Open
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
ncfenceguy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Just like a automobile, there comes a point where air resistance plays a huge factor. Just fast enough to the point of wasting current to move the air. Again like others have said, too many variables. Big tires, small tires. lift, no lift. windshield, half windshield, no windshield...........
ncfenceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #7
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfenceguy View Post
Just like a automobile, there comes a point where air resistance plays a huge factor. Just fast enough to the point of wasting current to move the air. Again like others have said, too many variables. Big tires, small tires. lift, no lift. windshield, half windshield, no windshield...........
Thank you, I would think that the variable between 2 different carts would play a giant pert, I was thinking on A cart, set up the same way, no changes to setup, that removes any variables, no matter lifted or not, same tires and air Preasure each run. In other words full charge to 49 volts, one trip at full throttle 26 mph, clocking the miles driven, another trip same route, same windshield position, tire Preasure etc but not to exceed say 14 mph, wonder which speed would result in more miles driven?
Old 08-06-2020, 09:03 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Wide F------ Open
They don't teach that term in Electrical Engineering.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #9
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
They don't teach that term in Electrical Engineering.
Well they should have😀 I believe it was one of the first phrases we used when studying Volumetric Efficiency in college
Old 08-06-2020, 09:21 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefili View Post
Thank you, I would think that the variable between 2 different carts would play a giant pert, I was thinking on A cart, set up the same way, no changes to setup, that removes any variables, no matter lifted or not, same tires and air Preasure each run. In other words full charge to 49 volts, one trip at full throttle 26 mph, clocking the miles driven, another trip same route, same windshield position, tire Preasure etc but not to exceed say 14 mph, wonder which speed would result in more miles driven?
If I am understanding your question, and have an understanding of Sergio's explanation this is what I think:

If the cart's max rpm's is 6000, and you drove at 3/4 throttle (4500 rpm's) the cart would be operating at a more efficient level. The cart would travel further at 3/4 throttle than it would WFO.

This would not mean 25% more distance because you have to factor in the faster mph at the higher rpm's.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car