lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #81
Wynelocked
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha governor bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Have you ever spent the money on a new "TCI" unit ? "Jump" that spark one time and you could be buying another one. Get a "dynamic" spark tester. If you disconnect the air box hose at the carb and it runs better...you have an airbox sealing problem.
Trust me...Dave is a gas guru.
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2008, 12:04 AM   #82
shawn.m
Gone Wild

been doing it for 30 years on everything motorized. put spark plug on block and crank it. how does that blow out to TCI?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #83
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn.m View Post
been doing it for 30 years on everything motorized. put spark plug on block and crank it. how does that blow out to TCI?
Shawn..I have no doubts of your mechanical skills, My suggestion to use a spark tester is to save members possibly alot of money. Yamaha's from 1979 (G1's) thru 1995 (G14's) used a "CDI or TCI" electronic ignition sytem. It is based on open/closed ground. If by chance, when grounding a spark plug for a spark test and the spark "jumps or loses ground" It "can" and "has" many times damaged the "CDI/TCI" unit. There is no fix, just open your wallet and buy a new one. In 1996 Yamaha (G16) went to a "magneto" ignition and you can ground the plug to check for spark without damaging anything, but I still use a dynamic spark tester, it shows me a veriaty of things...the engine is running and it shows "spark strength/color and if spark is lost at some point". Hope this explains my suggestion alittle better. Dave
Old 08-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #84
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynelocked View Post
Trust me...Dave is a gas guru.
Thanks for the kind words, but please, don't call me a anything "special". I just try to help if I can. I feel good when my suggestions have helped and I feel bad when they don't. I am not special at all....Dave

Last edited by smallblock450sl; 08-03-2008 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: bad spelling
Old 08-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #85
alfa29r
Not Yet Wild

i bought a preset plug .cleaned the air filter out and reinstalled it.the starter will turn over ,but it wont fire,it wants to go ...the plug spark color should it be a dark blue or does it matter.what does the igniter do..can anybody walk mew thru the diagnostics on this g5,what should i check for? thanks,and party on.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #86
travisty
Not Yet Wild

thanks rusty!

On the G8 the gap is .03

besides the spark gap the biggest problem on mine was the air. the old canister filters really rob the power and get dirty way to fast. Also your filter may have gotten some oil on it which will cause it to fail. You said you ride it on your land alot.. if your crankcase is close to or too full oil will spill back through your breather tube and into you canister box. thats assuming it's a bumpy ride around your land.

-Travisty
Closed Thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha