lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium


Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2020, 03:11 AM   #1
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 64
Default 72V lithium pack?

Hey guys, Im JUST ABOUT to break down and start a leaf pack build. But if Im gonna do it, Im gonna do a 72V build. I have confidence in myself to do a 48V build (done a ton of research, etc.) But Im not sure what the differences would be at 72V. Would you have to do 2 x 36V packs? Or is there a single BMS that can handle everything? I dont usually drive long distances at all. So AH is not a big concern. Just want a drag racing cart honestly. Thus I suppose 10 or 11 batteries would be all I need? Thanks for your help!!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Haddixbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Old 01-29-2020, 05:35 AM   #2
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild
 
S-N-R Customs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 351
Default Re: 72V lithium pack?

I made my own leaf system a couple years ago that is 36 volt 10 battery and since Iím running 2S2P. I charge it with a 10s BMS. Even if you went to a 72v 10 battery system you would need a 20s BMS OR split it into two separate 36 volt systems with a couple massive ďwinch plugsĒ to combine them after.
I guess it would come down to personal preference and if you had any of the parts already.
If I was going to go to 72 volt I would do the two battery system because I already own one of the 10s BMS and a charger. I would only have to get another 10s BMS.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild
 
bronsonj's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,651
Default Re: 72V lithium pack?

Do you have the controller already? What is the max V of the controller? My 48V controller can handle up to 62V so when I built my pack I went 58v. If your 72V controller can handle 84V then a 19S (78.8V at 4.15vpc) or if you want to push it closer a 20S (83.0V at 4.15vpc) pack would work.

Another thought is how much of a drag cart are you looking for? I have the "baby" 300 amp Alltrax with a stock TXT48 motor on 23" tires and if I turn up the controller a bit I pop wheelies. So if you are wanting a fun cart to go faster than your buddies, that can happen on a 14S pack and there is a lot of other people here running 14S packs. If you want to roast tires at the 1/8th mile drag strip then obviously you need a lot more then what I'm talking about...
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
MCJEFE
Gone Wild
 
MCJEFE's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Lady Lake, FL.
Posts: 456
Default Re: 72V lithium pack?

If your just looking at dusting the guys and not serious racing... What controller and how many amps are you planning for? I would probably build a 10 module, 20S1P, use a generic BMS and charge to only 4.10v/82v. Less stress on the cells and controller.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 64
Default Re: 72V lithium pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Do you have the controller already? What is the max V of the controller? My 48V controller can handle up to 62V so when I built my pack I went 58v. If your 72V controller can handle 84V then a 19S (78.8V at 4.15vpc) or if you want to push it closer a 20S (83.0V at 4.15vpc) pack would work.



Another thought is how much of a drag cart are you looking for? I have the "baby" 300 amp Alltrax with a stock TXT48 motor on 23" tires and if I turn up the controller a bit I pop wheelies. So if you are wanting a fun cart to go faster than your buddies, that can happen on a 14S pack and there is a lot of other people here running 14S packs. If you want to roast tires at the 1/8th mile drag strip then obviously you need a lot more then what I'm talking about...
I should mention that Im on an 99' EZGO TXT. Right now Im rocking an alltrax SR48600. However, Im gonna have to upgrade to the SR72500 model. Ive got a Plum Quick Demon motor. Powertron 8V batteries. I elieve the max voltage of my current controller is 60V.

Im gonna check and see what the max voltage of the SR72500 series is (probably 84). And build accordingly. The BMS that I THINK can handle it all is the chargery BMS24T. Can anyone fact check me on that?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Haddixbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:31 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild
 
bronsonj's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,651
Default Re: 72V lithium pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddixbros View Post
I should mention that Im on an 99' EZGO TXT. Right now Im rocking an alltrax SR48600. However, Im gonna have to upgrade to the SR72500 model. Ive got a Plum Quick Demon motor. Powertron 8V batteries. I elieve the max voltage of my current controller is 60V.

Im gonna check and see what the max voltage of the SR72500 series is (probably 84). And build accordingly.
You'll be popping wheelies all the time! With just me in the cart it puts the front wheels 8 to 10 inches in the air on my 300 amp Alltrax with lithium... Don't under estimate the power of weight loss when getting away from the lead acid.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:04 PM   #7
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 64
Default Re: 72V lithium pack?

Ok. So by math, I should be able to do an 84V pack with the alltrax SR72500. That would be done on 10 leaf cells (I THINK). My big question then would be, where do I get a charger for such a set up?? Would I be limited to a 72V pack at that point? Id like to have a decent charger that I could keep on board.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Haddixbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:28 AM   #8
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild
 
S-N-R Customs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 351
Default 72V lithium pack?

Split the ten cells into two groups of 5 and charge with 42 volt charger(s) and connect them with two massive winch plugs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:55 AM   #9
cricketo
Getting Wild
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 92
Default Re: 72V lithium pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddixbros View Post
Ok. So by math, I should be able to do an 84V pack with the alltrax SR72500. That would be done on 10 leaf cells (I THINK). My big question then would be, where do I get a charger for such a set up?? Would I be limited to a 72V pack at that point? Id like to have a decent charger that I could keep on board.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
There is 72v version of DeltaQ, such as this :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Q-72V...8AAOSwvgheLzta

Many of these come pre-programmed for lead-acid batteries, but can be loaded with Lithium algorithms (82.044v or 83.16v would work). The only caveat programming kit is required (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Q-Pro...0AAOSwdIFX0~aQ) but many shops that service golf carts and fork lifts have those.
cricketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #10
cricketo
Getting Wild
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 92
Default Re: 72V lithium pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-N-R Customs View Post
Split the ten cells into two groups of 5 and charge with 42 volt charger(s) and connect them with two massive winch plugs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Judging by the pic you have gaps between modules, I assume you intended that for ventilation. Have you used the pack much yet ? Noticed any bulging ?
cricketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Need Lithium donít want to build Pack Lithium EZGO
Charging lithium pack 19 Elite Lithium EZGO
Quality Lithium Pack Lithium EZGO
Lithium Battery Pack Electric EZGO
36v 80ah Lithium LTO pack Golf Carts and Parts


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This Website and forum is the property of Buggiesgonewild.com. No material may be taken or duplicated in part or full without prior written consent of the owners of buggiesgonewild.com. © 2006-2017 Buggiesgonewild.com. All rights reserved.