lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #41
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Workhorse and MPT...I have my work cut out for me

To test the pulser just unplug the plastic connector heading down to the pulser. Take your meter and put the leads on the wires where you just unplugged . Set your meter to the lowest scale on AC. Spin it over and see what AC voltage it is putting out. If your meter is set right you should see 1/2 volt.
They normally don't go bad but you do need to know before you start trying to find the problem. Those plastic connectors where you plug it in sometimes get spread apart and lose connection. I just wiggle them to see if it fires. It's also best to use the spark tester I have always mentioned here. Those in line ones have never worked good for me.
I use the OTC 6589 Electronic Ignition Spark Tester .
Leave one wire connected to spark plug if you use this one. It has never failed me and much more accurate on these engines . I will leave that up to you.
Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OTC 6589 Electronic Ignition Spark Tester .jpg (30.8 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2020, 05:59 PM   #42
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well that was an experience. Came back to the machine today, swap the good carb on to the Workhorse. Turn it over and no spark. WTH! O chased down the lack of spark again to the pulser coil which I just replace yesterday. Turns out it was one of two things, either the connector was bad or it just needed to be cleaned real well. I replaced the connector and got the pulser pickup nice and shiny and had amazing Spark get fired up and ran great.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #43
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

So you don't know what made it fire ?
If it had spark and the pulser showed no AC volts then you didn't check the pulser correct or your meter was not set right.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #44
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
So you don't know what made it fire ?
If it had spark and the pulser showed no AC volts then you didn't check the pulser correct or your meter was not set right.
I did get 20 ohms across the terminals, which is what the manual says it should have...couldn't get it to show 1/2 volt when cranking though...I suspect it was a very dirty pickup, and maybe too far from the flywheel, or possibly I couldn't keep the probes on the little connector points while cranking. I installed it a touch closer to the flywheel this time too. I'll have to go put the meter on it again this evening now that it is working...haven't checked it again after the reinstall.

On another note...I just picked up another 1200 Workhorse, and another 800 MPT in similar condition to the original two, and another MCI 350, although it doesn't have a flywheel or fan cover. I know it is a different flywheel, so will be looking for a MCI flywheel. Anyone have one laying around in their junk bin?

There are also five more of these monsters sitting around the property, one or two of them originally had Kawasaki motors, but from what we could tell, the valve train is missing from the motors. No idea on the condition of the lower end of the motor...also couldn't locate flywheels, carbs, etc. While these frames don't have a lift, they do sit higher. Anyone familiar with these later model workhorses? Are the frames the same? Obviously the drive drain and motor mounts are light years different, but could I swap transaxles, motor mount, wiring harness, back to the Robin 350? The superintendent would prefer this frame/suspension on one of the returned machines, If that's possible, I might just go pick up his junkiest frame with the rearend and motor mount and the rolling cart with kawi drivetrain and do the swap. Thoughts?
Old 11-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #45
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I need some ideas...I am currently using the MPT as a yard cart, and found that it takes a good bit of choke to get it started and running...even after warming up, it sometimes takes a small tug on the choke to get it running. Once it is running and driving, it starts right up and moves along, as long as I am on relatively flat ground or going down hill. Once it starts going up hill, it really bogs down. It keeps running, but really gets slow. The motor seems to slow down a ton, seems like it just looses all its power. Sounds like the driven clutch downshifts, but the revs don't stay up. Goes very slow up hill. I haven't found a hill it won't climb yet...steep driveways included, but I might get where I am going in a day or two. The carb is brand new, out of the box, no adjustments made. Just bolt it on. It was purchased by the course and given to me in the package of parts. No idea if it is aftermarket or OEM. I'm guessing OEM...the bowl is cast aluminum. You guys think it is clutch adjustments, or carb?
Old 11-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #46
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Sounds to me like you need to rebuild the driven clutch
Old 11-21-2020, 12:58 AM   #47
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

The poor starting is usually a symptom of either valve adjustment or transition jet blocked in the carb. As you say you have fitted a brand new carb, it seems unlikely to be that. BUT new carbs are not always perfect out of the box. I would always strip a new carb down and check/clean before fitting. If you think the float bowl is cast alloy, then it may not be OEM. Genuine bowls are not cast, they are pressed and spun as far as I know. Your lack of power as trig says, is more likely to be clutch issues. Watch the clutches and belt while entering an incline and see what happens! If it does not shift down, then you need to check them. Try swapping them out one at a time with known good ones, you probably have a few laying around by now lol..
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:40 PM   #48
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Alright, I have three of these beasts running and driving now. Two pre-MCI 1200 series workhorses and an MCI 800 series MPT.

The MCI unit that I just got up and running has a weird rattling noise. Almost sounds like chains jingling at the rear of the motor...it comes and goes. It runs perfect. Nothing loose that I can find. Sounds like its inside the engine. I'd like to figure out what that noise is before I send it back...any thoughts? I don't know how to make a video of it and post it...not technically savvy....savvy?

Also, a Pre-MCI/MCI difference that I found is that the mufflers are not interchangeable. The exhaust connection points appear to be in a different location so a Pre-MCI muffler will not simply bolt onto a MCI engine. Sadly, I have several Pre-MCI mufflers, so looks like I will be modifying one to fit on the next build which is a MCI 800 series MPT

Also, need to do some seat work...lots of missing plastic and seat parts.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #49
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Could the noise be coming from the drive clutch ?
Old 12-17-2020, 09:51 PM   #50
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Did you by chance open the motor? I’ve often found the rod cap bolts coming loose by themselves. Something worth noting anyway.

The easiest way to post a video is to upload to YouTube and paste a link here
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO