lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
Zach22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default How do I install a Freedom Chip

Can anybody explain how to install a freedom chip in my 2005 ezgotxt pds. I am completly glueless when it comes to golf carts but am slowly learning.
Zach22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: How do I install a Freedom Chip

Welcome Zach22.........................

Click on the back button and near the top of that page check out the "Stickys".

Or

Heres the link......... it's the color diagram near the bottom.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Very easy just take off the black box that covers your controller and you will see a pigtail looking plug with a loop on it, take that out and just plug the other one in.
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Zach22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK I see thank you for the info. One more question once the jumper is plugged in do I need to program anything? And what precautions should I take to protect the speed controller? Sorry I am a little paranoid !
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty View Post
Welcome Zach22.........................

Click on the back button and near the top of that page check out the "Stickys".

Or

Heres the link......... it's the color diagram near the bottom.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html
Zach22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
captkirknc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am sort of new, but from what I can gather from the E-Z-GO service manual on the site listed below, you must always flip the run/tow switch to the tow position when you mess with any power or the electronics. It even shows how the chips are wired. I took an all terrain chip, which turns out to be just an open plug, and pulled out the little sillicone tits and put wires in according to the diagram in the manual using 16 gauge wire and made a Freedom chip. You just have to make sure the wire extends into the plug enough to contact the terminals in the controller. And according to one poster on here, when you put the chip in and toggle the tow/run switch back to run, the controller is reprogrammed and the chip can be taken out and left out. However someone else said tha t id you do that and lose power or cchange from run to tow, the program defaults to all terrain and if you don;t have the chip to reprogram it, then you would be stuck with all terrain. I am hoping someone can confirm that, as it is not explained that way in the Service Manual, but makes some sense.

http://www.ransomes-jacobsen.biz/spe...%20English.pdf

Last edited by captkirknc; 07-03-2008 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: Can't type and decided to change some wording
captkirknc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:33 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Do not take the chips out. Roady, Gorno, and basically everyone who knows more than most of us here, Say that is bunk
You are correct = switch to tow before doing any electrical work on these carts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
captkirknc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I thought from what I have read the chips are supposed to stay in, if nothing else, to keep trash out of the controller. The all terrain "chip" is just an open plug with plastics tits in the slotts to keep stuff out. So, who knows for sure....anybody got it in writting anywhere from E-Z-GO?

I wil have my new controller Monday and will verify this. It won't be hard to do, once I get a stable controller. I am pretty sure mine is fried, as the symptoms change every time I get on it. The good news is, it goes both directions, just slow and the beeper beeps in forward. Gonna kill that when the grandkids come today.

I am certain you are supposed to flip the tow/run switch to tow when doing any service work on the cart. I already have a habit of flipping it when I lift the seat to evenm check the battery water, as it is very easy to drop off a cable that is worn just banging around under the seat. Better safe than $200 or $300 sorry for anew controller.

Again, I would suggest, just in general, if you don't know basic electronics (DC has polarity, so it can fry something in an instant), I would not mess with the controller. If you have problems that are not obvious like broken wires or a bad battery, pay somebody 40 bucks to diagnose it.
captkirknc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The plugs are supposed to stay in. If anyone tells you any different they don't know what they are talking about. If you take the plug out and ever flip it into tow mode you have lost the settings.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
pimpy1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

You can temporarily chip your friends cart just by plugging it in their cart and putting it back in yours. They will have the speed until they flip back to tow and them it reverts to normal.
It is a cheap way for a friend to see how well his cart will do with one.

Here is where you plug the chip.
pimpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO