lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #61
jomcguire18
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: Fixing up a 1974 Harley Davidson Golf Cart

Thanks Trainwreck wasn't sure if people were still looking or cared HAHA I've seen the krylon method and think I might do the same. I was thinking of also trying some truck lining spray on the bottom of the cart body to help with the noise. Anybody like that idea or is it even a smart one???
jomcguire18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #62
Train Wreck
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I think I am going to clean mine up real good and put dynamat noise deadener on it, the stuff works great. I have also heard of people undercoating also.
Train Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #63
Train Wreck
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Hey 18 what color were you thinking of? I was thinking black and orange I have seen several that way and they look good but there again that is a popular color scheme??? A person would really have to do good bodywork for it to look halfway decent with the black. I only have one crack to fix and it is small so I think I could do it and then smooth the whole thing out with a 320 DA before I started painting.
Train Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #64
jomcguire18
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I'm thinking dark blue with a black trim and black odds and ends. I have some damage on the fender and nose. Here are some pics of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (82.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (135.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #65
jomcguire18
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Whats up everybody,
Put the engine and all the rest of the compontents back on today. Posted some pics as usual. I also ran it around the block without a body. It wasn't easy with the hot muffler right there HAHA Their where no issues at all I'm really excited!!! I just wish it wasn't getting to be that time of year to shut down the camper for the winter. I'll keep everyone updated on the paint job but it won' be for a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tyu.jpg (232.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ty.jpg (195.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #66
smkummer
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

When mine was running good it would hit 17-18 and go 20-21 on the downhill. The top speed harley recommended them to be governed at was 15, so it appears your fine. When and if I ever paint mine it will be Harley Birch White as it was new. Mine also smokes when using 1.5 oz. of Yamalube 2 stroke oil. I would rather run a little extra oil on my original 1972 Harley cart than too light. Back then gas did not have alcohol in it like today. Your posts are great and thanks for keeping us informed.
smkummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #67
fiddlstiks
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Hi guys. With respect to paint, fiberglas can be tricky. I was in the boat business. My advice would be ; leave the final body paint to the pros. It is what the world sees and should be done right. I know after screwing up a few jobs. I've had some unhappy customers because of it.
fiddlstiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:24 PM   #68
bababouy1966
Not Yet Wild

Angry Re: Fixing up a 1974 Harley Davidson Golf Cart

Hi, I have a 1974 electric golf cart. all battery's are replaced. distribution coil turns red hot in 3 seconds. had to disconnect battery. the cart does not have a key, just a switch for forward and reverse. This is stock for this modal. The cart will go into forward and reverse. because the coil became red hot I had to disconnect battery. Any suggestions.
bababouy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:16 AM   #69
Lochlin
Gone Wild

You generator may be putting out too much current and it is being dissipated as heat in the coil.

Factory coils were "internally resisted" meaning that they had resistors built into them. I believe that the factory ones had 1.5 ohms or so. You can measure a coil's resistance by using a volt meter on the ohms setting and measuring across a coil's small terminals.

You can also buy a "ballast resistor" at a car parts store or online and install it in your circuit before the coil. All a ballast resistor does is to remove some current from a circuit. They are cheap and install in just a couple of mins.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harley davidson, harley davidson golf cart, harley/columbia
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson