lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #111
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 ezgo rough running

My 89 has been gone for so long now, I forget how much vibration was normal....... But hey, I can't manage to keep up with a simple crank spacer haha
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #112
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Here's a couple things to try(one at a time)...

1. Flip the drive belt around.(make sure the belt is in good condition)
2. If you have the same size tires all the way around, swap the front to the back and vice-versa.
3. Make sure the brakes aren't dragging.
4. Run the cart up on blocks and check to see if the secondary clutch is grabbing the belt on deceleration.(when the secondary is closing back up)
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #113
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Question: When you made the video, was the cart jacked up or did you have the F/R selector just sort of sitting between Forward and Reverse? Seems I remember if I did that with mine it made a clicking noise when the engine ran. I know that doesn't explain the vibration. Again those engines produced a lot of vibration themselves and maybe (without having another one to compare side by side) what you are feeling is close to normal.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #114
rabar4
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
Here's a couple things to try(one at a time)...

1. Flip the drive belt around.(make sure the belt is in good condition)
2. If you have the same size tires all the way around, swap the front to the back and vice-versa.
3. Make sure the brakes aren't dragging.
4. Run the cart up on blocks and check to see if the secondary clutch is grabbing the belt on deceleration.(when the secondary is closing back up)
perfect ! im on that list as soon as I get my clutches back together. I will do one at a time as you said. as always thanks 89 and cowboy
rabar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #115
rabar4
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccowboy View Post
Question: When you made the video, was the cart jacked up or did you have the F/R selector just sort of sitting between Forward and Reverse? Seems I remember if I did that with mine it made a clicking noise when the engine ran. I know that doesn't explain the vibration. Again those engines produced a lot of vibration themselves and maybe (without having another one to compare side by side) what you are feeling is close to normal.
I posted a couple videos cowboy im not sure of the one u speak. I can tell you that my cart will not even attempt to turn over unless I have the F/R switch in one of those positions. As far as the video if the belt was on in the video then I had the cart on jack stands. Remember, the vibration is only when the cart is moving and not coming from the engine. When I run the engine without the belt it is pretty smooth
rabar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #116
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
Question: When you made the video, was the cart jacked up or did you have the F/R selector just sort of sitting between Forward and Reverse? Seems I remember if I did that with mine it made a clicking noise when the engine ran.
You can't do that with an 89. It is a 2-stroke and the shifter handle needs to either be in FWD or REV.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #117
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

The old 89 I had may have been monkeyed with before I got it because the engine would run like that and I never worried about looking into it.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #118
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
The old 89 I had may have been monkeyed with before I got it because the engine would run like that and I never worried about looking into it.
There is no way to take an 89 out of gear, except to remove the belt.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #119
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Ok, but that old bucket of bolts could stick between f n r and actually run. Don't ask me why it would but it would. I realize it's not supposed to do that. I got rid of it the first chance I could.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #120
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
Ok, but that old bucket of bolts could stick between f n r and actually run. Don't ask me why it would but it would. I realize it's not supposed to do that. I got rid of it the first chance I could.
I guess what I'm saying is that there is no F-N-R on an 89. The rearend is always in gear. If the selector switch is in between FWD and REV, the motor won't start. If the motor does start, the cart is moving whichever direction the motor is turning. There is no neutral.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO