lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
Captain1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Kawaski engine weak spark?

Hello, everyone I was looking for a little help I feel that my 2009 EZGO sport with the Kawasaki motor has what I would consider weak spark? Here is the problem on initial startup I need to hold out the choke for a moment then it take right off with no problems and as long as I keep it running it will run as long as I want it to. I just drove it about 6 miles down the road yesterday to the restaurant and 6 miles back after eating. The problem is after it is running for 2 min or so and I let off the gas to let it die; it will not restart… after it cranking and cranking for a couple minutes sometimes it will then start and run flawlessly other times I have to walk away and come back. What I have done is change fuel filter, fuel pump and spark plug. When it dies I pull the carburetor side fuel line and fuel comes out under pressure with engine off so I fell its getting gas, then I shot some starting fluid In carb.. still nothing. I pull out plug and it appears to be a little wet. I check spark by putting a screw driver in the plug wire and hold it near the engine block and can only get the spark to sump about 1/16” does that sound right for these engines? Is there such a thing as a weak coil? Could there be rust on the outside of the flywheel causing a poor connection? I know this cart was left outside all the time prior to me purchasing it.
Captain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #2
Captain1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Kawaski engine weak spark?

Any help?
Old 12-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

By pulling the choke you are making it fuel rich which points to a lean issue with the carb. Carb cleaner doesn't always help either with starting on some small engines.. I would pull the carb and clean every hole you can find. There should be 2 jets, a pilot/slow speed and a main. If the pilot is plugged or restricted it will behave like your symptoms.. Be warned, the pilot hole is very small and sometimes may not be obvious it is there. A stripped bread tire works wonders..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Captain1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have cleaned the carb but I will do it again, thank you for the advice. I just assumed if it was fuel when I shot the starting fluid in the air cleaner tube it would have eliminated the carb and fired up?
Old 12-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Small engines are a funny thing.. In most cases you would think that shooting something flammable in the carb would allow it to fire up. Yet I had a chainsaw I was working on that had a spark with the plug out but with the plug in and shoot some cleaner it would have a wet plug indicating no spark. Replaced the plug and no cleaner and it fired right up. Yet that same cleaner worked fine on my lawnmower.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:26 PM   #6
robmartinez
Not Yet Wild

Did you ever get this fixed? I'm having the same problem.
robmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #7
guesswork
Not Yet Wild

did anyone get this figured out? Mine seems to be very similar.

Skip
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO