lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
xstarpro
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default The Perfect Balance of Power

My 16 year old son and I purchased a "fixer" two years ago and we have had a blast making improvements.... As many have stated "its never enough"....and if you asked my wife she would say we have spent way too much money on this project--if only she knew;) ...I guess you could say he and I have the bug:) We love this cart as it has given us so many great memories...Although the financially responsible thing to do is probably purchase a new one....we just cant do it....we just keep trying to make this one better and have a blast doing it...

Im hoping to get your professional opinion as Im sure from reading almost every thread on our model that many of you have "been there done that" and bought the t-shirt.

Our cart is a 1989 Ezgo 36 volt (Marathon I believe). We've done body work, paint, replaced motor, wire upgrade, headlights/tailights, key lock,chopped the windshield, springs on front, wheels etc...To the best of my ability I will describe our current set up:

*36 Volts (6 Pacer batteries 105min at 75amps)--(we are ready to replace)
*4 Gauges Wiring
*Plum Quick Motor
*Curtis 400amp controller (CON-1204-RB-009) came on it when purchased
*12 inch wheels with low profile tires

The cart runs: approx 9 on slight uphill grades in nieghborhood
12-14 on flat surfaces
22 max going down our longest slight hill in nieghborhood

Because we are upgrading batteries after everything I've read it appears a 48 volt upgrade is the best decision to improve both torque and maybe a slight speed increase----but we dont want to make a mistake--

We use the cart to go around the neighborhood primarily on street to the pool and on the trails in the woods to go shooting--not 4X4ing it--just cruising mostly--with the occasional dirt mound etc....

Our goal is to improve torque for those slight uphill grades and if possible add some top end---25 mph or better would rock.... I have budgeted $1750 to pull this off....Can you please recommend what set up you would go with I.e. Trojans? 6 8 volts ok--dont have room for 2 more 6 volts? Charger? Controller? Solenoid? Should we upgrade motor?

If it were you...Thank you in advance for your input and guidance.

~Richard~
xstarpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: The Perfect Balance of Power

Alltrax 4845 AXE controller would be my choice.
8 @ 6v for pack. Most put two more in bagwell. 6 @ 8v is option as well.
A way to charge 48v. Check out this thread for an idea other than a 48v chgr.
Chk w/PQ to make sure the motor will take 48v (likely)
48v rated contactor.
Don't know your tire size, but stock rear is 12.44:1. Use this link to calc your speeds.
You should be pleased with that setup.
Use the search feature as there is tons of information on 48v upgrades that has been discussed in more threads than I can remember.

Keep us posted on progress.
and
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
eadavis
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would search and find out if your controller can handle 48 volts if it can then I would say keep it being it is a 400 amp controller. You will of course need batteries, a way to charge 48 volts. You can get by with your solenoid but there is no way to know for how long but it will work but if you do replace it make sure you get the correct resistor and diode for 48 volt.
eadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadavis View Post
I would search and find out if your controller can handle 48 volts if it can then I would say keep it being it is a 400 amp controller. You will of course need batteries, a way to charge 48 volts. You can get by with your solenoid but there is no way to know for how long but it will work but if you do replace it make sure you get the correct resistor and diode for 48 volt.
Good point. Sorry I totally missed that. Saw Curtis and assumed 275A.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
xstarpro
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you for your help! The information on this forum can be overwhelming with so many options and innovations. After all considerations I ordered the following:

6 8 volt Trojans
Alltrax 500 amp controller
Solenoid
F/R Switch

Still looking for a good charger

Once I complete the upgrade (hopefully next weekend) I will post results and impressions.

Looking forward to the challenge
Old 07-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
xstarpro
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

This took WAY longer than I thought it would. Here is what the finished product yields:

29/30 Constant on flat and slight inclines with NO problem
Best WOT 34.3 mph slight deline--same decline hill as original Best before WOT

These speeds are running 8psi all around--best comfort--Im sure could be better with more air--but its crazy umcomfortable with anything over 10 psi especially on the trails.

Final Selections/Set Up/Impressions

6-8 Volts--T-875's--fried terminals on 2 batts from loose connections-expensive lesson---so actually 1 purchased 8 by the time this is all over

Alltrax 4844 axe--Love this controller but not sure its enough with the final set up--Will post the question in a different thread.. Before gears it would pull front wheels off the ground easily--little overkill--cool to be able to program various parameters but probably not really necessary. Cart runs nicely with it---but buddies in hood tell me I will see more low end with a bigger one...not sure as I've read my pack can only produce so many amps anyway--when monitoring the controller it pulls as much as 588 (highest I've seen)

Bus Bar Kit for F/R switch--dont laugh but this took almost 4 hours to get the copper stud contacts just right--hind sight should have just purchased another whole switch...works great now but was a super pia

Motor---Had a PQ 36volt that grenaded--a second rebuilt was ok--but seemed like genuine artificial horsepower--really was not pleased with the motor and will never again spend my money at PQ---I was given exageratted RPM projections (until after I paid--"oh no that was for a CC motor etc) and really did not achieve the result I was was working for even after gear swap. They may be great for others but a waste of time for me-- IMHO. I ended up going with an Advanced DC 7/11 motor that delivered exactly what I expected and is a much better match for my set up.

Lift and Tires-Met expectations and my son and I are no longer hitting things at midnight when lights fail and he is using his cell phone lcd to guide us:) We can now clear neighbors septics and propane heads etc:)

My buddy and I built the "sport" windshield and brush guard--very fun--Hes the welder--but I learned alot and came out really cool...

Overall very pleased with the end result despite some major mistakes: loose connections, MOTOR selection, and hind sight controller selection may have been different.

I know I owe pics---Coming Soon
Old 07-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you're now enjoying the fruits of your labors!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Thank you for your honesty about dealing with the motor company PQ. We have had many people on this site recommend them to other members and the administration was supportive..... So, thank you for your consumer reporting

Motor---Had a PQ 36volt that grenaded--a second rebuilt was ok--but seemed like genuine artificial horsepower--really was not pleased with the motor and will never again spend my money at PQ---I was given exageratted RPM projections (until after I paid--"oh no that was for a CC motor etc) and really did not achieve the result I was was working for even after gear swap. They may be great for others but a waste of time for me-- IMHO. I ended up going with an Advanced DC 7/11 motor that delivered exactly what I expected and is a much better match for my set up.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
xstarpro
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you again gentlemen for your help! I've read all of your posts and truly appreciatte your support and non biased insight.

Here is a cell phone pic of my buggie. Its dirty-sorry to say-the usual condition-love it-but see no need to keep it pretty-just love to ride:)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Buggie #1.jpg (60.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg My Buggie Resized #1.JPG (47.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 07-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #10
BlackHornet
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

hey xstar, do you have a link to your motor?
BlackHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO