lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Ronman
Getting Wild

Default ? For those who have upgraded voltage and motors

Or just real smart like.

My desire for more speed has led me to consider the emp switchable motor redesign. Im not looking for crazy record setting speed, just tired of being left waaaay behind by my father in law in his gasser. Since I will probably need batteries within a year I was also considering upgrading to 48v with heavier wiring.

My question: Will I experience any noticable change in average run time with either upgrade?
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: ? For those who have upgraded voltage and motors

Your runtime will probly decrease a little with the new motor. Maybe around 10% decrease. (just guessing but you will loose some.) Torque mode will be less of a drain on the batteries than Speed mode. Speed mode will need more amps to get going.

When you upgrade to a higher voltage your efficiency goes up. You MIGHT gain back what you lost. It all depends on the combination of components.

I have a 2 speed EMP in my 77 Melex. I leave it locked in speed mode. I just never used torque mode......I did notice a difference, just didn't "Need" it. Speed mode gave me all the power I needed.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Ronman
Getting Wild

Your answer is along the lines of the aconclusion I was coming up with. What kind of speed gain did you notice with your EMP?

Will that 36v motor handle 49v or will I have to make the jump all at once? I wanted to do this in steps. (batteries aren't cheap)
Old 05-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

A 36 volt motor responds real good to higher voltage. You will see a 20-25% increase in power across the board on 48 volts. 48 volts won't hurt it a bit. Its one of the most common upgrades.

If it were me....I would go 48 volts first. Don't forget you need a way to charge and a controller to handle it. Some use the stock solenoid and get by for years with it....some won't make it a day.

I probly got 19-20MPH with the EMP on 36 volts. Then I upgraded the voltage to 48 and went faster.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
A 36 volt motor responds real good to higher voltage. You will see a 20-25% increase in power across the board on 48 volts. 48 volts won't hurt it a bit. Its one of the most common upgrades.

If it were me....I would go 48 volts first.
Agreed 100%. Nothing you do here will be wasted if you ever want to do the motor later.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Also, using the stock motor on 48 volts you typically will see an increase in runtime. It may not be much but some. Lets say you lift it at the same time you upgrade....the addition of larger tires pull more amps from the batteries so your run time will decrease a bit. Most don't even notice the difference.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Agree..... I GPSed Two 36v CC carts running on 48v and got 18.5 mph out of the stock motor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
Ronman
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Don't forget you need a way to charge and a controller to handle it. Some use the stock solenoid and get by for years with it....some won't make it a day.
That was my reasoning for going with the motor first. The motor upgrade is the cheaper mod. Since I don't need the batteries yet, I wanted to milk the 36 volts while I scraped together a charger and needed parts for the voltage upgrade.

I havent noticed any decrease in speed since I lifted it. In fact it runs nicer.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Add 2 used 6v in the bagwell for 48v go with an extra 12v charger ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
Ronman
Getting Wild

Actually, the bagwell is useable space. I can still use "cart path only" here locally. Plus thats where I put my beer cooler when toodling around my place.

Im thinking I'll have to bite the bullet and get a 48v charger. It has to be simple setup so that my wife can charge it on her own. Im not much use around here when I rotate to midnight shift. She and our boy use it a alot when Im on that shift. Gives me some quiet time to sleep. She wont touch it if I have to explain how to charge it and what lead goes where, etc...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO