lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Brownwood
Not Yet Wild

Default 92 Marathon needs to "warm up" B4 it will go!

Thank you all for the assistance so far on my 92 Marathon Project. Here is the latest quirk. Ive got new batts a new pot, 4 guage batt cables and a weird problem. When I turn the key on and put the switch in forward or reverse, the cart doesnt go. If I let the cart sit with key on for about 8 minutes it operates fine and will work normally until i turn the key off again. Once, I was touching the controller and felt it "thunk" and the cart ran normally. Is my controller suddenly bad?
Brownwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: 92 Marathon needs to "warm up" B4 it will go!

The controller won't "thunk". The solenoid may "thunk" which is probly what you fealt. If you don't already have a VOM you need to get one. With the rear of the cart on jackstands, push the pedal and see if the solenoid is clicking. Just because it clicks doesn't mean it good.

Some folk jump the large terminals on the solenoid. This bypasses the solenoid which SHOULD allow the cart to run. If not, then the problem lies somewhere else.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Brownwood
Not Yet Wild

I forgot to add that part. When I jump the solenoid nothing happens. I have used the VOM to check the new pot and it seems to be doing its thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
The controller won't "thunk". The solenoid may "thunk" which is probly what you fealt. If you don't already have a VOM you need to get one. With the rear of the cart on jackstands, push the pedal and see if the solenoid is clicking. Just because it clicks doesn't mean it good.

Some folk jump the large terminals on the solenoid. This bypasses the solenoid which SHOULD allow the cart to run. If not, then the problem lies somewhere else.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

If you jump the solenoid and it doesn't run it can be:

1. Controller
2. Throttle pot
3. Bad connections. Either incorrectly wired or bad.

Since you say IT DOES RUN eventually I am leaning towards controller but I would make darn sure it is before buying one. This makes it harder to troubleshoot because it does run eventually. I had one that had gotten wet.....if you let it set for a few hours it would dry out and run fine...until the water in the bottom of the controller case sloshed around then it would run irrattic. It ended up quiting all together.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
Brownwood
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I am suspect of the controller because it is so consistent. The pot is new and seems to be operating and testing correctly, but this problem started when I replaced the pot. To recap:
1. I turn on the key and nothing happens.
2. 5 to 7 minutes later with key on and swicth in forward or revers the cart runs fine
3. I turn the key off and on immediately and cart runs fine
4. I turne the key off for 1 minute then turn the switch on and cart has to sit for 5 to 7 minutes then runs fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
If you jump the solenoid and it doesn't run it can be:

1. Controller
2. Throttle pot
3. Bad connections. Either incorrectly wired or bad.

Since you say IT DOES RUN eventually I am leaning towards controller but I would make darn sure it is before buying one. This makes it harder to troubleshoot because it does run eventually. I had one that had gotten wet.....if you let it set for a few hours it would dry out and run fine...until the water in the bottom of the controller case sloshed around then it would run irrattic. It ended up quiting all together.

Last edited by Brownwood; 05-22-2009 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: wrong info
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO