lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
painterman
Not Yet Wild

Default frame ground

I am new to this site I have been reading alot and learning alor. I have a question I have 98 ezgo cart it has a ground wire running from one of the batteries to the frame I have read on here there should be no ground to the frame. The cart came this way when I bought it. Is this wrong? Thank you
painterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: frame ground

It is not recommended to ground to the frame on an electric cart. Your frame will nearly always have "voltage" in it. Grounding to the frame that has voltage pulls voltage out of the batteries / accessories you have them wired to. Saying this, I would run all your grounds back to the battery next in line in series, just to be safe.

We also do the same for all gas carts - just in case someday the power wire wears and grounds to the frame.

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
jdinville3
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
It is not recommended to ground to the frame on an electric cart. Your frame will nearly always have "voltage" in it. Grounding to the frame that has voltage pulls voltage out of the batteries / accessories you have them wired to. Saying this, I would run all your grounds back to the battery next in line in series, just to be safe.

We also do the same for all gas carts - just in case someday the power wire wears and grounds to the frame.
Now that is **** good information to know right there!!! Cause lord knows none of us "abuse" our carts to where a power wire might rub through...Thanks for the info MMT
jdinville3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinville3 View Post
Now that is **** good information to know right there!!! Cause lord knows none of us "abuse" our carts to where a power wire might rub through...Thanks for the info MMT
Much appreciated input JD. Right, these buggies are only driven to Church on Sundays on freshly paved roads

Old 08-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
jdinville3
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes only on Sunday's.... with the sun shinning and now moisture on the ground don't wanna get it dirty you know... ??Dirty??
jdinville3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is an actual example on frame ground ona gas cart...

We did a motor exchange in an older Marathon to a new MCI 350cc engine. After about a week, the customer brought the cart back with a dead battery and the plastic on the choke cable was COMPLETELY melted off. I thought that the voltage regulator wasn't wired correctly, because of the dead battery, but the choke cable threw me for a loop. I checked the V R and it was OK, changed the choke cable and the thing started to smoke! Very frustrated and hurriedly, I unhooked the battery, thinking I had a MAJOR issue. Sat down, drank a Monster and WALA, decided to trace all HIS wiring for the lights that they had added to the wonder hunting buggy. The grounds were all to the frame at each light mounting point and one of the power wires had rubbed to the frame. Electriciy takes the path of least resisnence, and in this case was the choke cable, leading to the motor.

OK - now everyone who reads this needs to send a $25.00 donation to BGW

Old 08-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

"OK - now everyone who reads this needs to send a $25.00 donation to BGW"

I'm only sending $12.50 .... cuz I had heard that story before
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
OK - now everyone who reads this needs to send a $25.00 donation to BGW

I'm only sending $12.50 .... cuz I had heard that story before
Cuz you been here from day 1 Your $12.50 is appreciated, though

Old 08-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
gamer1
Getting Wild

Quote:
What do you mean back to the battery next in line in series? I have just installed a converter and was wondering how to run the grounds for my accessories. I think they all have to go to the same battery ground that the charger goes to coming from the converter..... correct? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.
gamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
painterman
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. I will remove the ground wire, it has been on there for 3 yrs. I bought it from a cart dealer
painterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO