lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
ejt60-1
Not Yet Wild

Default battery

how doi test the cells of a 6v battery, and what reading should i get. using a didital multimeter what setting should i have on the dial? thank you dont know much about what i am doing
ejt60-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: battery

If you don't have a loadtester, the best way to test individual cells is with a hydrometer.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

With your multi-meter you would set it on the 6v, 9v or 12v setting and then touch a probe to each battery post, doing each battery one at a time. Before starting let the batteries charge and then wait 45 minutes to a hour to let them settle. Post your numbers for each battery here and someone will advise you as to how good they are.
hitmanharleyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanharleyk View Post
With your multi-meter you would set it on the 6v, 9v or 12v setting and then touch a probe to each battery post, doing each battery one at a time. Before starting let the batteries charge and then wait 45 minutes to a hour to let them settle. Post your numbers for each battery here and someone will advise you as to how good they are.
HE is asking about readings for individual cells. Not batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Boyd
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

OK... Here is the best answer I can give you. If you are trying to find out if one of your batteries is bad using the volt meter, check each battery from positive and negative posts. Fully charged they should read about 6.5 volts. If you have 5 batteries reading 6.3 volts and one reading way less, then the battery that is out of whack is bad. With batteries, you are looking more at the spread than the actual voltage. High spreads means that you need new batteries. If you are wanting to check individual cells, then you will have to check with a hydrometer. There isn't much you can do to bring back a bad cell in a golfcart battery. It is easier to just replace it. I hope this helps.
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejt60-1 View Post
how doi test the cells of a 6v battery, and what reading should i get. using a didital multimeter what setting should i have on the dial? thank you dont know much about what i am doing
What are you trying to find out? The only TRUE way to test your batteries fully is on a Discharge Machine...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
ejt60-1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
OK... Here is the best answer I can give you. If you are trying to find out if one of your batteries is bad using the volt meter, check each battery from positive and negative posts. Fully charged they should read about 6.5 volts. If you have 5 batteries reading 6.3 volts and one reading way less, then the battery that is out of whack is bad. With batteries, you are looking more at the spread than the actual voltage. High spreads means that you need new batteries. If you are wanting to check individual cells, then you will have to check with a hydrometer. There isn't much you can do to bring back a bad cell in a golfcart battery. It is easier to just replace it. I hope this helps.
thank you, a test of each battery shows the following 6.6--6.7--6.6-- on one side the other 5.99--6.0--and 5.98. should i replace all the batteries or just some i do not know the age of them. hope to lear some day what i am doing
Old 08-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
ejt60-1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
thank you, a test of each battery shows the following 6.6--6.7--6.8-- on one side the other 5.99--6.0--and 5.98. should i replace all the batteries or just some i do not know the age of them. hope to learn some day what i am doing
Old 09-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Boyd
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

you either need to replace the 3 low batteries or find a way to charge them individually. If you can charge the three that are around 6 volts, you may not need to replace them. if you try to charge them but get nothing out of it, replace them. you can usually tell the age of most batteries by a sticker or stamp somewhere on the battery that will have a letter and a number such as (A-9) The letter indicates the month in order...A for Jan, B for Feb, C for March...etc. the number indicates the year of purchase 9 would be 2009 or 1999. usually batteries last about 5 years if you take care of them. Hope this helps
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO