lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
gmathew2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Potentiometer Problems

I have a 70 or 71 model Club Car Caroche that I have eliminated the 3 pedal design, incorporating the running features of a 93 EZGO. The donor cart came with a 4 wire Pot box with one end hooked to the controller F/R and the other hooked to one of the micro switches on the F/R switch. I've got the cart running but I'm not sure as to what the correct wire position is coming from the Pot box to the F/R switch and the Controller. I can hook up one set of wire from the pot box to the controller and the cart will run as soon as the micro switch on the pot box is released but soon dies when throttle reaches half way. When hooking up the other two wires from the pot box to the controller the cart will delay acceleration until half throttle but the reaching max acceleration. Is there something wrong with the potentiometer, or am I wiring it up wrong??
gmathew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Potentiometer Problems

Find the pr that will read 0-5K ohms thruought the peddle travel. that is the throttle indicator pr to the ezgo(not CC) controller.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
gmathew2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

What are the other two wires coming from the pot box to the F/R micro switch used for then?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
Paxdad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

2 wires go to the controller and the other 2 that run to the micro on the back of the F/R switch are the half speed reverse. You can disconnect the 2 that run to the micro and the do away with the half speed.
Paxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
gmathew2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If I do away with the half speed, wouldn't this make the cart delay acceleration and then jump when the potentiometer reaches the half way point? I'm looking for a smooth acceleration all the way to Max
Old 09-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
Paxdad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No. What you are doing away with is the half speed reverse. So you will have full speed in reverse. It will not effect forward speed.
The half speed reverse feature is designed as a safety feature.
Paxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
gmathew2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

10-4, well is there anything you can tell me as to why the cart delays acceleration until half throttle thus jumping rather abruptly? I tested the wires going to the controller from the pot, one set reads 0-5.14k ohms, which is the correct one and that's the one I've hooked up. The solenoid clicks as soon as the micro switch on the pot box releases but the cart does not start moving until half throttle and lunges forward but increases to max speed smoothly.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Sounds like a bad pot. Should be a smooth rise from 0 to 5k. What does resistance read at solenoid activation?
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You need to remember the throttle pedal has to travel quite a ways before the cart will start to move. That travel is there to allow the throttle pedal to release the parking brake before the motor gets power.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
gmathew2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

PGGROVES, I have a constant rise from 0 to 5.14k ohms so I don't think the pot is bad. At Solenoid activation I believe the reading is maybe 1k ohms, I'll have to check tomorrow. As far as the throttle travel goes maybe you are correct jauguston but why would the solenoid activate thus sending power to the controller but the cart doesn't move until further deprection of the peddle. Most carts I work on move as soon as the solenoid clicks. I would like to get the cart to run smoothly, It lunges forward but then it's smooth sailing when I mash the throttle down further.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO