lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #21
linefuse29
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Upgrading 04 TXT

So I can just add 2 more 6 volt batteries?? Do I have to get another charger too?? Thats where it gets expensive...
linefuse29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #22
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by linefuse29 View Post
So I can just add 2 more 6 volt batteries?? Do I have to get another charger too?? Thats where it gets expensive...
There is a way to charge it with your existing 36v unit and an automotive 12v unit that keeps the cost down, but eventually you would want a 48v charger. I almost broke even on mine when I got my 48v Lester, but until that deal came around I was cheating and running twin chargers for a year.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #23
linefuse29
Not Yet Wild

How would you do that?? Would you have to disconnect your other 2 batteries to chatge them??
Old 10-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #24
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You would not need to disconnect them. You would connect the 36v charger at the 36v location in the string. It would charge them just like before. Then connect the 12v charger on the two that are on the end of the string. Or get yourself a nice Delta Quiq 48 charger. Expensive but modern technology charger that won't cook your batteries like a lot of the chargers used now. I have one and like it a lot.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:40 AM   #25
linefuse29
Not Yet Wild

One more question... Ok Ill get my 4 ga cables today and install them. Can I go ahead get 2 more batteries and an alltrax 400 amp controller?? Will I have to change the solenoid?? I will use 2 chargers until I can get a 48 volt charger. I appreciate all the help. 2 days ago I knew nothing about golf carts.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes you will need a 48v solenoid also ....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #27
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You don't have to get a 48v solenoid. Wire the power to the key to the 36v spot on your battery string. That was what was suggested to me here and that is how I have mine setup. My Marathon had a W-R 586 solenoid already.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #28
roady89
nimda
Club Car

You can do that if your using 6 volt batts. If your using 8 volt batts that becomes a problem. The feild coil runs on 36....the actual contactor can run at higher voltages, all its doing is making and breaking contact.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #29
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

From a previous post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
The cart was a 1997 36v Fleet style with an Alltrax AXE 400amp Programmable Controler, as well as 4g Welding Cables. All else on the cart was stock electricly, except for extra 12v goodies. The Alltrax controller was allready rated for 48v.

I added 2-6v batteries wired in series for a total of 48vdc, one under the drivers side, and one in the passenger's bagwell:

The white wire from the cart charge receptacle was moved from it's original position at the Main Pack Positive upstream 2 batteries to it's new position on battery 3 positive terminal. Now the Powerwise charger only "sees" 36vdc and can still be used as normal. The additional charger is hooked up across batteries 1 and 2 in the pack, and as such only "sees" 12vdc. Both chargers are running simultaneously, no wires have been disconnected.

All of the control wiring still only "sees" 36v (this reading is across the small posts of the stock solenoid, key on, cart in gear, light pressure on the go pedal to activte solenoid circuit):

And the main pack now totals 48vdc (and then some!):

This pack voltage was after running the cart Friday night and all day Saturday, just as I was preparing to leave Sunday. I don't think range will be an issue. I saw 53.9vdc last weekend after a full charge cycle.

This is a VERY EASY upgrade if you have the proper controller already.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #30
linefuse29
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone for all the help. I got my 4 gauge wires in the mail today. Next Im gonna get an alltrax 400 amp controller. Am I not right that they can run on 36 and 48 volts?? I will run it on 36 volts until i get my other 2 batteries if htis is possible.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO