lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2009, 06:26 AM   #1
fastflstc
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default ezgo strange problem

I have a 2000 ezgo electric cart, I am running an alltrax 4845 controller, 2 ought wires throughout cart, hd buss barrs HD solenoid (was running an EMP 2 speed motor but fried it for the 3rd or 4th time so I finally realized they are junk and trashed it) so now have the stock motor and running 42 volts,(7- 6volt batteries) anyway a couple of months ago the controller went out and I sent it back to alltrax and they sent me a new one. every since then the batteries would not last long at all, I mean from a full charge the cart was dead in 1/2 mile or less. Well my batteries are 3 1/2 years old so I pulled the ones out of my sons cart which are only 5 months old and tried them, now it will go for about a mile ,maybe a little more before it is dea
I pulled a wiring schematic off this site and all the wiring is correct.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
I want to get this problem corrected so that I can sell this cart and finish my big block independent susp cart.

thanks
fastflstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: ezgo strange problem

Have you determined that your charger is working properly and it IS a 42v charger .Your issue sounds like what would happen if you were charging a 42v pack with a 36v charger.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
fastflstc
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

It is a western cart charger and it is a 42 volt charger. I have been using this charger for about 4 years with no issues. I even unhooked one battery and charged it with a brand new 36 volt charger and had the same problem. That alone gave me the impression that my charger was fine.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds like that is not the issue (-:

If you have a test multimeter you next might hook it across the whole pack and drive it until it does its quit thing and watch what the total pack voltage does. That should help figure out where the issue is. You might also check each batteries voltage after it quits. Seems like it is never easy.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

The initial indication is 1 or more bad batteries.
With all the controller, wire upgrades and burning out motors sounds like you may be demanding a lot from the cart.
What size are your tires and what kind of terrain are you running on?
As jauguston mentioned, post your total pack and individual battery voltages after a charge and rest then do the same after it quits. I'm sure the problem will become evident.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Any chance you talked to Alltrax since you indicate the problem seemed to start after you replaced the controller?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
fastflstc
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I will try the voltage test, and then charge the pack and try it again. I am running 24x11x10 dirt devil tires and have told EMP that and Alltrax that as well before I bought either of their products and both said that those tires would be fine. the terrain varies but mostly flat hard roads, dirt trails at campgrounds, and the last motor loss was in rolling hills on hard packed limerock roads and grass fields. I have never overworked the cart or at least what I call overworked.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO