lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
GRANDPA
Not Yet Wild

Default Hot Resistor

Hey Y'all!

I am working on a 1986 marathon. In removing batteries, cables and resistor+housing in order to rebuild the battery support frame, I broke the resistor board. I glued it together and wrapped it with electrical tape to allow it to cure. After I put everything back together i have two problems...first, when I turn the switch on and select forward or reverse the car moves without accelerating. second, after noticing an electrical odor, I discovered that the entire resistor assembly was so hot that the electrical tape I left on it was melted.

This is my first electric golf car and I darn sure don't want to ruin my investment. I am pretty mechanically inclined in that if I can see it I can usually fix it, but I am afraid to continue until someone who knows a lot more than me can comment on my situation.

Any and all comments and suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Sincerely,

Grandpa
GRANDPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hot Resistor

Welcome to BGW, Grampa!
The function of the bed springs, I mean, the resistor coils, is to burn off unused amperage and they do get red hot while doing this sometimes.

The cart should not try to move before you push the peddle. the solenoid may be welded shut? and the speed wiper is not returning to zero, it is on the second lug. check these 2 things out. Carefully ... as in; jack one wheel up off of the floor
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Make sure the pedal is coming all the way back. Also, that first contact is not used. Its just a rest, there should be no cable to the first contact, check the micro switches and make sure they wok....best thing to do is get or make another board, they aren't that much. The resistors will get hot at any speed but wide open and dead stopped. Thats the only time they are out of the circuit.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
GRANDPA
Not Yet Wild

Hey guys!

Thanks for the response and peace of mind about the hot resistor. I have ordered a new resistor assembly, so that might last as long as the original. I'll have to wait until the weekend before i have time to check the accelerator return, micro switches and solonoid. Since it doesn't look like antthing has ever been replaced on the 1986 marathon, i am inclined to replace most all of the electrical system. But i'll report back after this weekends investigation. By the way, i am not shouting and do not intend to be rude, but it is so much easier for me to just type in all caps and also easier to see.

Thanks so much,

grandpa
Old 06-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
GRANDPA
Not Yet Wild

Well i'll be! This thing puts everything in lower case whether i want it or not!

G.p.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRANDPA View Post
Well i'll be! This thing puts everything in lower case whether i want it or not!

G.p.
Thank God I can read half a sentence in caps, then I start to see double and am unable to make sense of the rest

Take a good long look at the speed wiper assembly and determine the condition and quality of the copper connections(contacts) on that board also. Let roady89 know if he can be of any more help
Old 06-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
GRANDPA
Not Yet Wild

it's me again...ole grandpa!

that's a heck of note about this site changing all fonts to lower case. so i guess i might as well get on board...i'm typing in lower case. i know that will make my grown kids happy...bless their hearts! (as we say down here in the south)

anyway back to serious business. all micro switches are funtioning properly, so i'm assuming the problem is in the solenoid. i tapped on it like we used to do with our old fords, but that didn't seem to make any difference. so i ordered a new solenoid online.

however, while i was all contorted under the seat, trying to keep my bifocals from slipping off my nose and trying to pick the right part of the lense to look through i found a small "black" control wire which is attached to the top center terminal post along with the s-1 cable on the forward/reverse housing but it it has a broken off terminal on the other end and is just dangling! i do have a manual but it doesn't seem clear to me where it should go. i suspect that this may be my real problem.

sure would appreciate some input.

thanks,

grandpa
Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
rib33024

Welcome GRANDPA

Is this what your wiring looks like, if so the black wire goes
to the micro switch on the F/R switch--# 36--

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
GRANDPA
Not Yet Wild

Rib33024 -

Thanks! Yes this is what my wiring looks like. However, after I got your response, I removed the f/r assembly to find that the black wire (36) on diagram does go to the micro switch on the passenger side of the assembly...but it is in tack. The dangling black wire that I thought was the one attached to the terminal with the s-1 is actually attached to the micro switch on the drivers side and then the other end (that is dangling) has a broken off terminal on it. If you are following my gibberish...where does this dangling end go?

Grandpa
Old 06-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

How long is it? Do you have power to both micros? Could it go to the other micro for power? Just a quick guess

Try my approach .... What does it reach?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO