lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
cpacetti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Switchable 12V source for stereo

I just installed a stereo in my cart - it has the yellow for memory and red for power. I hooked it up to the 2 center batteries to get the 12 volt power I needed, but the problem is even when radio is off, the time display stays on. So I'm wondering if I need to figure out how to a switch in line or something so I don't have the batteries go dead. My cart's a 36 volt - been reading for a couple hours, just haven't found a solution.

Thanks in advance for any help!
cpacetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
HuntinBuggie
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Switchable 12V source for stereo

If it were me, I would go to radio shack or somewhere like that and get a metal toggle switch. Then you can hook your power line to it, and when done using, flip the toggle switch off. I do strongly recommend a metal one, as I have used the cheap plastic ones, and had them internally short out and melt.... You can check with some of the ELDERS on here too, they may have a better solution.....
HuntinBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

If it has removable face just pop the face off. thats what most of my customer do. If you dont want to do that do like stated above. Install toggle switch inline of red wire and you are set.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

There should be a menu setting in the stereo for the clock on or off.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
cpacetti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies - I can't find a way to turn the clock display off, I guess because I have the yellow and red wire twisted together and connected to the batery. My owner's manual for the stereo says the red is supposed to be hooked to the switch. For now, removing the face plate will work, and I will probably hook up a toggle switch soon.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

The red wire is for power to run the stereo and the yellow wire is for the memory. It shouldn't make any difference whether they are wired together or not. If you put a toggle switch in, just switch the red and leave the yellow hooked to the battery.
What make and model is it?
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

or purchase a 3 position keyswitch and run the red through the secondary circuit of the keyswitch.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
cpacetti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I assume you mean the stereo as to make and model - it's a Dual, xd1222. It seems weird to me that the screen would stay lit all the time, because it's big and blue. My cart is an 04 PDS 36 volt EZ GO.

Rabbit - I'm new to the world of working on and modifying golf carts, so I'm not familiar with the 3 position switch.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

E-Z-GO makes a 3 position switch that has off-on-on(with accessories). On the back side of the switch you have the 2 spade connectors for the cart activation circuit plus 2 additional spades for accessories (usually lights) to be powered through.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
cpacetti
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Those 2 additional spades are 12 volt? If so, how much does this cost and where can they be had?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO