lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Joes66dart
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v to 48v Questions???

I have been reading about doing this conversion on my cart. I have a 36v with a v-glide and resistors. From what I have read all I will need is a new 48v solenoid, batteries and charger. The batteries and charger are no problem since I work at a golf course. My main concern is which 48v solenoid. If someone could give me the OEM part number I would appreciate it. And if there is any other things yu would recommend for this swap please let me know.
Joes66dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v to 48v Questions???

Welcome to bgw!

You understand incorrectly. 48v will melt your V-glide and resistor coils.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Welcome to bgw!

You understand incorrectly. 48v will melt your V-glide and resistor coils.

scotty knows this upgrade quite well and yes you will need more than just a 48 volt soleniod..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Joes66dart
Not Yet Wild

I must have misunderstood some other postings on different forums. Some guys were saying the v-glide would handle the 48v and the resistors could take it just not at low speeds for a long time. What parts would I need to convert my cart over? By the way I love all the info on the forum and love looking at pics of what all you guys have done to your rides.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

to do it right you,ll need a 48 volt controller, a potbox, 48 volt HD soleniod, and you should include a HD F&R switch and at least 4 gage cables.........scotty sells a kit with everything you need and with it comes directions you can understand and wisdom from someone who knows.......you can shop around and find everything you need and maybe even a few bucks cheaper however if you run into issues along the way you lose the wisdom factor and that might just be the pricless part..................but if your gonna do it do it right the 1st time and be done with it...............leave your motor in and if anything you can always have it redone but it will certainly work with a 48 volt system.......i,m getting ready to do one myself next week i can,t wait to see the outcome......its a 36 volt cart right now that i,m happy with but i have to do the upgrade i just can,t stand it..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think what the other sites were trying to tell you is that the resistor coils are out of the feed loop (amperage to motor) at wide open throttle. They are but, the v-glide never is.... anyway if you drive at full throttle or nothing you can make it last a while. How long? Who knows... or do it right and make it usable, most people can not drive WOT or nothing, you will need the parts Shadowman listed.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Joes66dart
Not Yet Wild

What is the difference between the 36v v-glide and the 48v v-glide. I seen cc made a 48v one.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The 48 v unit was actually a multi-step potentiometer. They sell a conversion kit, But it costs as much as a real potentiometer and the multi-step is not a true variable pot.

Hope this makes sense?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Joes66dart
Not Yet Wild

Yea it makes sense. I'm like most guys out there and was just looking for the cheapest way to convert. Looks like I will just stay with my 36v system. I'm running 3 12v deep cycle batteries ( because I got them free) and have not had any problems. Run time isnt quite as long but we just use the cart at the dragstrip. I was hoping there was a way I could add one more 12v deep cycle to the system but it looks like it is going to be more trouble than whats its worth right now.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Joes66dart
Not Yet Wild

Okay since that wont work I have another idea I want to run by you guys. Like I said I work at a golf course and we have 48v carts that have 8v batteries so I can get my hands on 8v batteries. Can i run 5 8v batteries for a total of 40v thru a 36v sytstem? Once again I have a v-glide resistor cart. Will the extra 4v burn up the resistors or v-glide?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car