lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
CartManGA
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Buying a used cart, how can I test batteries?

This is a great Forum..... I have spent a ton of time here and I don't even have a buggy yet. I am looking at an 08 ish Precedent from a private seller and was wondering what I might do to check out the batteries. I know how to check the age of the battery, but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do. I remember reading here somewhere about a hydrometer??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
CartManGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Buying a used cart, how can I test batteries?

You can test them with a DMM and a load tester if you know how to use them. Print off the state of charge sticky and take it with you to compair.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Digital voltage readings along with hydrometer results will give you a good read of each battery's condition. Also, drive the cart on the same route each time while monitoring the voltage of each battery. They should all drop down to the same voltage level when doing the same task. This will indicate if the pack is balanced.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
CartManGA
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the feedback. Which sponsor should I reach out to get the voltage meter and hdrometer?
CartManGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can find a DVM at any big box store. I have a Sperry brand I picked up at a HDepot that was reasonably priced and has been durable. A Floating needle type hydrometer can be found at any auto parts store.
If you can tell the age of the batteries that is probably your best judge of their general worth, average golf cart useful life is 4-5 yrs.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Cartman,

If you are on a budget like most of us are, Wal-mart sells a DMM for $20.00 that will take all the readings you need for a cart. Do not get the hydrometer at Wal-mart(like antifreeze float balls). It is pure junk. Get one at a autopart store that has temp adjustment.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
dougmcp
Gone Wild

IMO you don't need to use a hydrometer, a simple voltage check will tell you the basic condition of the batteries.
Clip a meter to the battery pack, it should be in the 51v range, take it for a drive, if under full acceleration the voltage drops more than 15% (43.2v) you have a battery problem.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
IMO you don't need to use a hydrometer, a simple voltage check will tell you the basic condition of the batteries.
Clip a meter to the battery pack, it should be in the 51v range, take it for a drive, if under full acceleration the voltage drops more than 15% (43.2v) you have a battery problem.
Doug, under load is this normal for the pack to drop in the mid 40's. I know if that was a state of charge reading the batteries would be toast.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Doug, under load is this normal for the pack to drop in the mid 40's. I know if that was a state of charge reading the batteries would be toast.
It's normal under full acceleration to drop that low.
After driving the cart, you can only really take an accurate voltage reading after the cart has been sitting idle for a couple of hours.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
It's normal under full acceleration to drop that low.
After driving the cart, you can only really take an accurate voltage reading after the cart has been sitting idle for a couple of hours.
Thanks Doug.

Another question, on a 48v cart 50.93 is 100% charged. A 90% charge is 50.47. How do they arrive at that figure of 50.47 being 10% less then 100%
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car