lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

Default Charge Meter 1996 Club Car goes into the red on the right during charging

I have a 1996 Club Car Electric 48 volt. When charging and the charger goes down to 5 Amps the charge meter is pegged in the red. Does this mean the batteries are being overcharged. They were brand new this spring before I left AZ for the summer. The batteries were fully charged when I left. A neighbor has added water monthly. I have been disconnecting the charger as soon as I see this. SHould I just let it keep charging at the 5 Amp rate until it shuts off by itself? I can go 18 holes with no problem but the meter in the red beyond the CHG area has me concerned??
jhp1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charge Meter 1996 Club Car goes into the red on the right during charging

Which "charge meter" are you referring to?
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Charge Meter 1996 Club Car goes into the red on the right during charging

Yes, it is normal, and let it finish the charge and shut off by itself. Check out the great battery info at CartsUnlimited.com. Scottyb has gathered all the pertinent battery info in one place.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

I have a meter on the dash that apparently shows the voltage of the batteries. Its a meter that has a green portion in the left half plus a red area on the left that must indicate a low voltage condition. Then on the right side there is a white area that is white labelled CHG which I assume is where the needle should be during charging. Then on the extreme right it is Red which I assume is an overcharge indication during charge. I am asking if the needle of the meter is in the red area on the extreme right indicates overcharging or what? When I am running the needle stays in the green area depending how fast I am going or whether I am accelerating. Accelerating causes the meter to drop slightly. Again its a 1996 CLub Car With a Meter.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

OK thanks Iwill let her charge until it shuts off. Thanks a bunch. You guys are great. One more question. Do I wait until charge is complete before adding water?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Yes, only add distilled water directly following a full charge cycle.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i beleive that red area to the left is for when its charging and thats where the needle should go...................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Is this the meter your have?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golf-cart-pa...item56468a4491
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

Yes thats the one.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Remember, this is a 48V system and if your batteries are still good then they should be hitting around 60V's at the end of a cycle. Thats why your meter is pegging at the end of a charge cycle.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car