lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #21
ROZ
Getting Wild

Default Re: Extra battery for 48v. CC for radio???

16 volts... No.

12v audio is designed to operate from about 10.5volts-16volts. Vehicles usually charge at a rate of 13.5 to 14.8 volts. The 16volt is to cover possible voltage spikes and not for continuous power.

A friend ran an amp off 2 8v batteries trying to get more power. Fried in no time..

Loud stereo is about moving current in amps at 10.5-14.4 volts. Since we don't have alternators, our optimum voltage is 10.5-12v .

I use 10.5 because that's about the lowest voltage mobile audio will run...just before it shuts down or clips.

I know a little about the subject...1988 to present dabbeling and 1993-2005 in the industry.
ROZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #22
ROZ
Getting Wild

To add... Someone is going through the trouble of a double footprint, you may as well go 2 6v instead of 2 12v batteries. You can go a whole weekend on a charge.

4 6volt batteries ran 5 amps at volume 2 days on one charge. High end boat stereo.. boom boom

Ok going to run deck off reduced and amp off a optima marine battery.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #23
oconnorb
Gone Wild

Club Car

Cool Re: Extra battery for 48v. CC for radio???

I recommend and installed an Interstate deep cycle marine battery (12V) to the rear for the (6) 8V batteries. Installed a aluminum cross bar in the frame and it fits with room to spare. Cost was less than $100.00 for battery, aluminum cross bar and two bolts to hold the bar. I can reach the post to charge from under the seat. When I get time to play with it again, I will run a charging outlet next to the 48V outlet to be able to charge without lifting the seat. There is enough room under the body to install my 48V and 12V charger, just don't have time to do this, but I will someday. I didn't want to install convertor for it would create an uneven draw on two batteries. The 12V has been installed for three months, after the initial charge I haven't needed to charge since, it has maintained 12V+ on the battery meter and pushes my radio, amp and powered subwoofer with ease, the sound is great.

oconnorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #24
Chipster27
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROZ View Post
To add... Someone is going through the trouble of a double footprint, you may as well go 2 6v instead of 2 12v batteries. You can go a whole weekend on a charge.

4 6volt batteries ran 5 amps at volume 2 days on one charge. High end boat stereo.. boom boom

Ok going to run deck off reduced and amp off a optima marine battery.
I assume you're Roz from RDP. Guys, I'll say this, Roz knows his stuff. If I posted pics and stats of my boat/rhino stereo it would blow you away.... Roz, I think you know, I've got Toby's boat and Rhino :D

I'm no electrical engineer so forgive my ignorance, but the amps on a 36/48 volt carts have got to be huge. When running a relatively low draw device like a stereo how much run time are you really going to lose? I seriously can't see the radio having that big an impact unless you're drawing big power for an amp/sub(s)

Even as Roz says above, deck off reducer, amp off a second battery. If you're not running an amp or a sub, why buy a second battery and have to deal with the maintenance of another battery, the hassle of a second charger and possibly a second volt meter.

My Rhino has 3 AGM batteries for the stereo and when cranking the music for several hours I still connect it to a generator and 40a charger just to keep it at 11-12 volts. Most of the radios I've seen in carts won't require that kind of power and therefore should be that big a drain on the battery pack.

Of course as with most things in life, I'm wrong so that's why I come here to get some good advice :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chipster27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #25
ROZ
Getting Wild

Chipper! Lol
Old 02-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #26
Chipster27
Getting Wild

Quote:
Chipper! Lol
Yup, LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #27
ROZ
Getting Wild

6 guys on a limo cart head to a party 3 spots away. A 7th guy walks. Who gets there first?

Rich needs more juice! Lol
Old 02-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #28
Chipster27
Getting Wild

Quote:
6 guys on a limo cart head to a party 3 spots away. A 7th guy walks. Who gets there first?

Rich needs more juice! Lol
LOL, are you talking about Mandy! Did you see the cart he picked up
He likes it slow, says it provides him with the assurance that his kids are not going fast, although he did get a slap from security for speeding in it
Old 02-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #29
ROZ
Getting Wild

oh snap ! Lol

you need to be to build a cart to match your boat and rhino..

toby will be painting mine in a couple weeks .. hint hint ;)
Old 02-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #30
Chipster27
Getting Wild

Quote:
oh snap ! Lol

you need to be to build a cart to match your boat and rhino..

toby will be painting mine in a couple weeks .. hint hint ;)
I'm working on it now. Ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday, should have it ready for DS in April. I should have bought Toby's when he put it on the market but the timing was not right for me. I asked Toby about painting it and it's more than I want to spend. I used to paint jet skis years ago so I'm going to dig out my old roller brush and a couple rattle cans to see how bad I can screw this up. Won't do a big stereo, just head end with some basic 6" speakers. This thread caught my attention because I was thinking about adding a 12 volt battery but will probably do a reducer. The cart isn't used that much and it's charged every night so I shouldn't have a power problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car