lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Elitewolf
Not Yet Wild

Default 1980 Club Car stalling problem

I am working on a 1990 Club Car 36 volt with vglide system with resistors. Cart will run on hard dirt or pavement well as much as a couple of miles or more but when you start across the yard in fairly soft grass it will slow to a complete stop. Batteries are good, only drop 1-2 tenths volt over this period of use, measuring each battery seperately. Let cart rest 10 min. after stall and it will continue for a while longer. It also does this when loading on trailer ramp. I have checked contacts in vglide and no pitting or burns. Sweep arm works smoothly. any ideas? could the motor be going bad..thanks for any help.

Last edited by Elitewolf; 03-16-2012 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: wrong year model
Elitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1980 Club Car stalling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf View Post
I am working on a 1980 Club Car 36 volt with vglide system with resistors. Cart will run on hard dirt or pavement well as much as a couple of miles or more but when you start across the yard in fairly soft grass it will slow to a complete stop. Batteries are good, only drop 1-2 tenths volt over this period of use, measuring each battery seperately. Let cart rest 10 min. after stall and it will continue for a while longer. It also does this when loading on trailer ramp. I have checked contacts in vglide and no pitting or burns. Sweep arm works smoothly. any ideas? could the motor be going bad..thanks for any help.
This sounds like typical battery trouble. Can you attach the DVM to the battery pack and see if the batteries are being drawn down hard by the softer footing?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
This sounds like typical battery trouble. Can you attach the DVM to the battery pack and see if the batteries are being drawn down hard by the softer footing?

have to agree this sounds like a battery problem.....you need to test and load test each battery and check cells with hydrometer.......how old are they? and are you sure all solenoids are working? ........i would suggest starting with batteries and cables............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Elitewolf
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, will check draw on battery pack when stalling in a few min. to shadowman, only see one solenoid, this cart has the wire resistor coils on it...it does feel as though it goes directly to top speed when it starts...
Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Check to see the resistor coils are not touching one another?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Elitewolf
Not Yet Wild

scottyb, draw on battery pack brings voltage down to 16volts...coils are not touching
Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf View Post
Thanks, will check draw on battery pack when stalling in a few min. to shadowman, only see one solenoid, this cart has the wire resistor coils on it...it does feel as though it goes directly to top speed when it starts...
are you sure its an 80? and not a 90 if so it should have 5 solenoids i beleive but if not as scotty said check your resistor coils for breaks, being overly rusted or touching each other......none of the coils should touch each other, the cart you decribe in your 1st post with a v-glide and 1 solenoid i don,t beleive they made them in 80 so double check on the year....................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Elitewolf
Not Yet Wild

Shadowman, you are absolutely right, either these old eyes are playing tricks on me or I just looked wrong, it's a 90 and I think I might see the problem, but I've got to pull a battery out to see, it looks like one of the cables on the vglide might have got out of place and be touching another, looks like the fourth from the front is touching the fifth...
will check this out now, thanks guys for the quick response, maybe I'll get this one going yet....
Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

My 89 club car has the same single solenoid and bank of resistors
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Elitewolf
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help, while doing the suggested checks, I discovered a cable on the vglide shorted to main wire. This was causing cart to only have wide open throttle no matter what pedal position was. During inclines or soft ground travel it did not have enough torque to pull causing excessive battery drain.
Till the next problem, thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car