lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2017, 12:15 AM   #1
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default '99 TXT Rebuild project starting

I've milked the batteries in my $800 cart as long as I can, and they will only take 75-80% charge these days. That's not enough to tote 3 or 4 guys around the sporting clays course twice in one day, so it's time to tear down and solidify the cart. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go with 48v (6/8v) FLA or a lithium pack, but my hand will be forced soon enough. My inside connection could not come through with Lithium cells, so I'll have to buy commercially if I go that route.

Already installed (but currently removed) I have a 5" lift kit, Pro-fit 10" Octo Machined Wheel on 22" Off-Road Pro-Fit Tire, MadJax Genesis 250 Rear Seat, Clays Basket, gun scabbards, and rear mounted gun racks.

Planned installs/upgrades at this point, after consulting with Scotty B and reading a ton of rebuild threads, are:

Alltrax XCT48500-DCS controller
MZJ-400A Solenoid
2 GA high current cables
30A 12V reducer
DVM (I shorted out up the last one)
4 position key switch
Switch Panel for 12V on, Light Bar, Fan, USB ports, Front/rear light kit, ??
Dash Overlay with glove box

POR-15 and POR Topcoat entire stripped down frame
New Steel Battery Tray
Black Diamond Plate Accessory kit w/ floor
Ausco disk brakes (verified 9.5" internal clearance on wheels)
HD 3 Leaf rear springs
Front Springs
Tie Rod ends

New 48v-54v Power Source (FLA or Lithium, respectively)
New Charger for above

Wish list for later:
New Body Kit (or graphics for existing body)
Extended Roof
New Seat Covers

Here is what I managed to accomplish in about 8 hours over two days. There is a lot of dirt, debris, and rust on the cart, but that's the reason I am rebuilding it from the ground up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Stripped.jpg (146.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Center Stripped.jpg (148.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Stripped.jpg (148.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Battery Tray Stripped.jpg (161.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Behind Controller Depth.jpg (121.3 KB, 0 views)
JaxPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2017, 12:02 AM   #2
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default '99 TXT Rebuild project - Day 2 questions

Tonight I got the frame about 95% disassembled. I pulled the rear axle and front axles off intact. Figured out the tie rod situation, so I'll be able to replace those.

I can't get the battery tray out at the moment, for two reasons. One is the large Torx bolts at the front of the tray that bolts to the frame, and I don't know what size Torx it takes to remove it. See pic 1.

I have everything off but the brake pedal, accelerator pedal and box, and the steering column + Steering housing. I'm afraid to take the steering apart, not knowing how difficult it is to reassemble. I also don't want to mess with the pedal box in the floor, not knowing how sensitive it is to reassemble. Does anyone have any input on if I should remove those components to pressure wash and prep the metal for POR-15 application? Are they fairly straightforward to reinstall?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery tray Torx Bolt.JPG (183.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Front Empty Frame.JPG (100.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Empty Frame.JPG (121.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Center Frame.JPG (111.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Axle Removed.JPG (114.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-22-2017, 12:24 AM   #3
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '99 TXT Rebuild project starting

In my opinion go for Lithium. Its really nice not to deal with battery maintenance any more.
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

#45 torx fits my cart....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:43 PM   #5
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post
#45 torx fits my cart....
Thanks, mutant, that was the correct size.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #6
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Replacement Hardware List?

Is there a list, or kit, anywhere that contains replacement fasteners for a 99 TXT? Most of the hardware is rusted, corroded, or damaged, and more than a couple of bolt heads sheared off.

Or, do I have to take all of my baggies full of part specific fasteners to Ace, and match them all up one for one?

As for rivets, are Home Depot, Lowes, or harbor freight grade sufficient? Or is there a need for higher quality?
Old 02-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #7
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Replacement Hardware List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxPilot View Post
Is there a list, or kit, anywhere that contains replacement fasteners for a 99 TXT? Most of the hardware is rusted, corroded, or damaged, and more than a couple of bolt heads sheared off.

Or, do I have to take all of my baggies full of part specific fasteners to Ace, and match them all up one for one?

As for rivets, are Home Depot, Lowes, or harbor freight grade sufficient? Or is there a need for higher quality?
Jax, it looks like you've got a good plan and are going to have a great cart when you get done.

I had both the repair manual and parts manual for my 2001 rebuild. As a matter of fact, I printed out the parts one, and kept it in the garage for easy review. Here's links for both of them. I realize you have a 99, but I dont think there is a lot of difference. Maybe someone that knows can chime in.

https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/i...o%20pdf/52.pdf

http://www.eastcoastcarts.com/media/...c_with_PDS.pdf

Hopefully those links work. If not, the service manual came from east coast carts' website and if you google "ezgo 28656-01" you'll get the link for the parts version. The one for the parts has exploded views with all of the part numbers and dimensions.

As for the rivets, I didn't have any luck getting them from ace, lowes, etc. Some of them are specific and not all that common. IMHO your best bet is to order the ezgo rivet kit. Also, find a fastener company in your area where you can get additional if needed. If I remember correctly, the kit has the exact number you need. If you break or lose one, you'll need another source. We have fastenal here on the west coast. i Dont know if you have that in florida, but Im sure you have some place local. Also, somewhere on this site someone compiled a list that is very accurate.

Below is a link to the rebuild of my 2001. As you can tell, I had no idea what I was doing. ha,ha. I noticed you responded to it today in regards to $300 bodies. I didnt get it for that price, but my body needed too much work to be re-painted so I just ordered a custom painted one from liquid lenny. I had been checking out his site for a while and loved his work. Below is his link. He's a good dude and very easy to work with. Also, good for you, he is in Florida. I had to have mine shipped all the way to ca.

Good luck, and hope at least some of this helps.

http://www.liquidlennys.com/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...t-rehab-6.html
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Replacement Hardware List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
Jax, it looks like you've got a good plan and are going to have a great cart when you get done.

As for the rivets, I didn't have any luck getting them from ace, lowes, etc. Some of them are specific and not all that common. IMHO your best bet is to order the ezgo rivet kit.
Thanks, OM6, I have been using your thread as one of my primary resources. I have both manuals, so if I can't find a definitive list, I'll compile one from the parts manual.

I ordered the EZGO Body rivet kit, but didn't think that included all the other rivets needed.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #9
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Glad my thread is somewhat helpful. I know I knocked out some of the "not so smart" questions, anyway. I've said it multiple times, but without this forum there's no way I would have been able to do my project. I'm not patient enough to figure out everything I would have had to. This is by far the best forum Ive encountered with the knowledge that is here and the willingness to help.

That's good that you already had the manuals. You shouldn't have to guess at any hardware sizes with that. Everything is listed in there.

I wish my memory wasn't so poor, as far as the rivets. The kit has pretty much everything you need but there is not a list included in the kit, as far as where specifically each one goes. You can refer to the manual for that. It will make more sense once you have them in your hand and see how many you need for each piece you're putting back together. From what I do remember, what's not in the kit is more of the trim piece stuff: bagwell, etc. The plastic and push type rivets can be sourced at ace, etc. But, like I said, find a true supplier somewhere for when you lose or screw one up since you'll have just the exact amount.

Also, not sure if you have a rivet gone already. I initially bought the larger, two handled, blue one from HF. It ended up being worth about what I payed for it (had to take it apart a couple of times) and was too big for a couple of spots. So, I also bought a small, single handed one. In the end, I think I would have been better off with the HF pneumatic.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #10
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

And there he was, as nekked as a jaybird!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Naked Frame.jpg (131.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO