lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #1
brpeddicord
Not Yet Wild

Default 48volt conversion charger question

When I upgrade to a 48 volt cart can I still use the same charger dc plug from the old charger? I have the d shaped paddle style plugin. Thinking about getting a MODZ brand 48 volt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brpeddicord is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2020, 07:40 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48volt conversion charger question

The plug and receptacle don't know or care if they are passing 36V or 48V.

About the only issue is you'll have a 48V charger that can be plugged into a cart with a 36V battery pack, which might cause some spitzen und sparkin if a "friend " with a 36V cart decided to "borrow" your charger for a quick refill while visiting.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #3
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

if you use a delta charger you will need a wire from receptacle to the battery with a temperature sensor on it or it wont charge. Not sure what other chargers require that but mi wire corroded at the battery connection and i ended upgrading to lester summit which didn't require it instead of replacing receptacle.
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2000 View Post
if you use a delta charger you will need a wire from receptacle to the battery with a temperature sensor on it or it wont charge. Not sure what other chargers require that but mi wire corroded at the battery connection and i ended upgrading to lester summit which didn't require it instead of replacing receptacle.
That's only partially true. If you buy a SC-48
, or QE, (I suggest avoiding both at all costs, they are low quality) you will be stuck with only whatever profile is installed, and will most likely require a temp sensor. If you buy a QuiQ (yellow & black), it can hold up to 10 different profiles in it, and there are several with & without the requirement of a temp sensor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:16 PM   #5
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
That's only partially true. If you buy a SC-48
, or QE, (I suggest avoiding both at all costs, they are low quality) you will be stuck with only whatever profile is installed, and will most likely require a temp sensor. If you buy a QuiQ (yellow & black), it can hold up to 10 different profiles in it, and there are several with & without the requirement of a temp sensor.
How do you change the profile? and can you tell which ones do not require temp sensor? I am helping someone trouble shoot a yellow and black one that I sold it to.
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Well, I have a list of the common profiles, and the ones that require temp sensor have a "*" next to them. When you first plug the charger in to the wall, it will flash out a number of the currently running profile it will be 2 or 3 characters. (Like "- -, -" for 21)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #7
Csaavedra
Not Yet Wild

So i just upgraded my cart to 48volt and got a 48volt ezgo delta q charger with the triangle plug. I swapped the plug to the d shape from old charger , but im getting red green flashes then nothing. I was told it needed a temp cable. I just ordered a triangle style receptacle with the temp cable on it. What do i do with the reed switch cable from old receptacle? Any wiring info would be awesome.
Csaavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csaavedra View Post
So i just upgraded my cart to 48volt and got a 48volt ezgo delta q charger with the triangle plug. I swapped the plug to the d shape from old charger , but im getting red green flashes then nothing. I was told it needed a temp cable. I just ordered a triangle style receptacle with the temp cable on it. What do i do with the reed switch cable from old receptacle? Any wiring info would be awesome.
Connect the blue wire from the new charge receptacle to the wire to the controller the reed switch was connected to.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #9
Csaavedra
Not Yet Wild

Do i just splice the blue wire to the current red wire next the old receptacle?
Csaavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csaavedra View Post
Do i just splice the blue wire to the current red wire next the old receptacle?
Yes.

Red wire connected to white wire from reed switch in attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger receptacle - Reed Switch.JPG (73.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO